Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • Rest and Refreshing BOW Civil War Sampler Quilt >
  • Rest and Refreshing BOW Civil War Sampler Quilt

• Rest and Refreshing BOW Civil War Sampler Quilt

Old 08-14-2017, 01:30 AM

I'm looking ahead...even though I am behind in the blocks....and wondering about the setting blocks and the sashing. The picture looks like she used a neutral for the sashing and another for the setting blocks, etc. If I follow the written fabric requirements, it will look too scrappy for my taste. I think I want to use one neutral for the sashing and another one (not more than one) for the rest of the quilt. In other words, it looks different than the fabric requirements indicate.

What does everyone else think?

Marcia
    Old 08-14-2017, 04:21 AM

the pattern shows scrappy sashings with a single cornerstone, as well as scrappy boarder triangles supporting the boarder blocks. I like scrappy, and the pattern, that is the way I am going.....but as usual, we all tend to do our own things and I am sure it will look great no matter which way you go.
    Old 08-14-2017, 04:28 AM

Here is my block 17:
    Attached Thumbnails rest-refreshing-block-17-tulip.jpg  
    Old 08-14-2017, 08:53 AM
    Power Poster

Beautiful blocks quilters! I am about 3 blocks behind but hope to get atleast one or more done this week.
    Old 08-14-2017, 09:00 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Battle Axe
    I'm looking ahead...even though I am behind in the blocks....and wondering about the setting blocks and the sashing. The picture looks like she used a neutral for the sashing and another for the setting blocks, etc. If I follow the written fabric requirements, it will look too scrappy for my taste. I think I want to use one neutral for the sashing and another one (not more than one) for the rest of the quilt. In other words, it looks different than the fabric requirements indicate.

Marcia
    I see what mean. Go for it! It sounds good to me. I am working with what I have available. But like Jane Quilter I think we all will do our own thing. I am using a certain line of fabrics that I have mostly fat quarters from. This dictates my choices. I have some yardage of that line but not a lot. I do not want to cut into the part I hope to use for the backing. Ideally I will have some darker fabric for the sashing. I did not care for the lighter but if need be the whole sashing might be made from FQ left overs. Also if need be I might add Civil War reproduction fabrics or some thing that looks like it or even tone on tones. I am also not sure about the small on point blocks in the border. Originally I was not planning on making them but hubby really likes them. since I am making a very large quilt 120x120 I might just skip them as they do not show up when the quilt is on the bed.
    Old 08-14-2017, 09:12 AM
    Power Poster

Jane that block is beautiful. I need to get started on mine for this week.
    Old 08-14-2017, 11:01 AM

Jane Quilter!!! Your points are spot on. How do you do that? Mine from this a.m. are terrible. I only have one point on and everyone else is this way or that. You are a complete master.

How do I tell where my mistakes are. If I measure the pieces again they are on, and my scant quarter inch seems to be on, the pressing/ironing may be my mistake. I have a need to bulldoze it like a cement truck.

I think re-measuring, I make the same mistakes. How did you refine your techniques to get such perfection. I am almost ashamed to put up my block on this board. But I will and let you all have a gander.
    Old 08-14-2017, 12:21 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]578848[/ATTACH]Here it is. I looked at the ruler I was using and it is a little off, plus my fat pencil line throws it off. This is the fresh lilacs one and I have the civil war fabric cut but only partially sewn. I know we are our worst critics, but mine deserves criticism.

Marcia
    Attached Thumbnails 20170814_150532_resized.jpg  
    Old 08-14-2017, 01:37 PM

Marcia
    I personally think you will lose the beauty of the block if you use just two neutrals. In my eyes, the 3rd neutral is more of a medium tone neutral while the first two neutrals are almost the same shade, just different prints. I think the clue here is that both of the lighter neutrals are almost alike but have just a tad of difference in the design colors, to differentiate them. Since its small pieces, cut out parts using three neutrals, and lay them out on your block board and see what you think. If you don't like it then replace one of the neutrals. I vote for using all three. Jane's block is gorgeous and its not busy.
    Old 08-14-2017, 01:43 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]578848[/ATTACH]Here it is. I looked at the ruler I was using and it is a little off, plus my fat pencil line throws it off. This is the fresh lilacs one and I have the civil war fabric cut but only partially sewn. I know we are our worst critics, but mine deserves criticism.

Marcia
    I don't see anything I'd criticize about your block. Its very nice! I wrote the response to your earlier post before I read on and saw your block. I like it a lot!