Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >
  • On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

• On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 12-19-2017, 05:13 AM

Theresa (tcsweaves) love your aqua and browns.
    GramE - wonderful holiday placemats, they will dress up your table nicely.
    Imanna I also love the fabrics you’ve chose for this project.

I am all caught up with wrapping presents and I pressed and trimmed my 120 sets of Clue 3 on Sunday while watching the Patriots play Pittsburg in a nail biter of a game. Hopefully I will get to cut Clue 4 today. Everyone is doing a fabulous job given the challenges the busy holiday season brings.
    Old 12-19-2017, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom
    Tweety, can you tell me where to find that video on measuring the accuracy of clue #4?
    I found that video, in the Monday link-up blog post.
    Old 12-19-2017, 07:00 AM

Everyone's units are looking so pretty! I got a little more behind due to a stomach bug that hit Sunday night, spent most of yesterday in bed, but am up and running today Yippee! I've still got some Clue 3 to finish. Does anyone else suffer from boredom when stitching, or ironing, or cutting these large quantities of the same unit????? I know I have the attention span of a gnat (hence the constant creation of UFOs), but I seem to need to take a break about every 20 or so of the Clue 3 units....

So far this morning- The tree now has lights on it, and my easy angle ruler that I ordered from Amazon showed up which should speed up Clue 4... Now back to pressing and trimming Clue 3...

Rob
    Old 12-19-2017, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by LavenderBlue
    Today only (12/19), the Simple Folded Corners ruler is on sale:

https://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponline/notion/210536
    Thats a really good price!
    Old 12-19-2017, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom
    I found that video, in the Monday link-up blog post.
    Thanks for passing this along. I tested mine and thankfully they are correct...especially since I am done with my Clue 4 units!!
    Old 12-19-2017, 07:14 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by rryder
    Does anyone else suffer from boredom when stitching, or ironing, or cutting these large quantities of the same unit????? I know I have the attention span of a gnat (hence the constant creation of UFOs), but I seem to need to take a break about every 20 or so of the Clue 3 units....
    Yes, oh yes! If I wasn't doing scrappy I'd probably lose my mind. The repetition is boring so I sew a little, and then come check out the computer. I usually try to power through the clues to get them over with. I'm only doing a half size, and can't imagine making twice as many of everything. The quilts are usually very pretty in the end, tho.
    Old 12-19-2017, 07:15 AM

Thanks for the link to the Folded Corners ruler. I have had one on backorder from Amazon since Oct. I cancelled it and got one from QIAD. It was cheaper than Amazon with Prime. Thanks for all the info that is shared here.
    Old 12-19-2017, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by rryder
    Everyone's units are looking so pretty! I got a little more behind due to a stomach bug that hit Sunday night, spent most of yesterday in bed, but am up and running today Yippee! I've still got some Clue 3 to finish. Does anyone else suffer from boredom when stitching, or ironing, or cutting these large quantities of the same unit????? I know I have the attention span of a gnat (hence the constant creation of UFOs), but I seem to need to take a break about every 20 or so of the Clue 3 units....

So far this morning- The tree now has lights on it, and my easy angle ruler that I ordered from Amazon showed up which should speed up Clue 4... Now back to pressing and trimming Clue 3...

Rob
    Definitely agree on the boredom aspect. Seriously do not know how people are managing to do this without going scrappy. At least when going scrappy there's a little bit of variety to the monotony.

Luckily once you figure out what method works best for you it's pretty mindless. I've been getting caught up listening to my favorite podcasts while sewing them.
    Old 12-19-2017, 07:46 AM

I too find it boring to work on so many units the same but I know I will like the end result. I think I also hold a grudge against certain units. I struggled more with the chevrons in earlier quilts like Celtic Solistce and I can now make them more accurately but I grit my teeth and don't like them. It doesn't make sense to be upset with them because they are 2 seams like the flying geese so it must be a grudge....

If I could be granted a wish though it would be that the next clue is combining some of these units into a bigger unit. The mystery is fun but it always seems like we are given a lot to do with the final clue.
    Old 12-19-2017, 07:53 AM

You all have been working soooooooo hard on each of your clues to get each done!! I am amazed at the energy and speed that many are working at!! Your results are looking amazing!

I have been watching and following from the sidelines and copying each clue to tackle later in January. Hopefully I will be able to do this but right now with Christmas approaching and so much family stuff going on I know that if I tried now I would get very frustrated and not enjoy the holidays or the sewing process! I really want to have the chance to enjoy time with my family and then in Jamuary perhaps also enjoy putting together another one of Bonnie's great designs.

I do have a quick question about the rulers that Bonnie has suggested to use or a survey of sorts so please give your honest opinion:
    How many of you are using Bonnie's Essential Triangle Tool ruler and the Simple Folded Corners ruler?
    Do you think that they have been very useful and helped you a great deal in getting some of the clues completed?

I know there are other methods and rulers that will also complete the same tasks but was wondering if you feel that these rulers have been essential and helpful to reduce your cutting time and speed up the process more efficiently.

I am debating whether to purchase "another ruler" and appreciate your input. Thanks