Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >
  • On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

• On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 12-02-2017, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    Reminder: any ruler is only as good as we sew. Still have to get that proper seam allowance to make it all come out right!
    Too true! It's been two years since Allietare, and I think my piecing has improved. Maybe I'll give Easy/Companion another try.
    Old 12-02-2017, 08:39 AM

Funny how you are using a magnet too, Kalama! I'm using one of my sovinour magnets on from New Zealand --- reminds me of my old home as I sew I'm piecing entiring on my 1950's Singer 15-91 because it has the most beautiful tiny stitches.

I have all my geese cut and half of my backgrounds cut.
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
    Old 12-02-2017, 08:52 AM

I do not have a vintage machine but am on the look out for one, even though I qayg I think that bigger throat would be amazing.

I do not use specialty rulers, for hst I almost exclusively use magic 8. I have tried several methods for FG this 4 at a time no waste so far is my favorite, and the most accurate consistently I have tried. The Seminole piecing (or strip piecing) method to make many at a time has me intrigued but I still have enough of my Gma (frugality) in me that I can't bear that much waste when I can do it w/o waste.
    Old 12-02-2017, 09:02 AM

Kass, there are always tons of vintage machines for sale on the Tulsa CL. I don't know where you in OK but I'm sure you could easily find one for about $100. My DH and I will even rewire it for you if you want (I've been really bitten by the vintage bug!)
    Old 12-02-2017, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by waltonalice
    I’m answering BelfreyBat, sewbizgirl, Givio, and Sandra-P about Bonnie’s admonition this morning.
    Like several of you, I hadn’t heard about the GI problem. I certainly understand the issue of her blog’s income being dependent on the number of visitors; that explains why she insists on having people go directly to her site and asks the rest of us to refrain from making copies.
    I also understand that this is a mystery, so we should avoid spoiling the surprise for others.
    Sandra mentioned that we shouldn’t refer to the number of units, but Bonnie specifically says “make 50 four patches.” It is true that many of us use scraps, which are not width of fabric. However, there are many new quilters or people who feel uneasy about their math skills. I saw one entry that said that one would need a ratio of one unit of brown, four units of teal, and five units of coral for clue one. That was incorrect; another person noted that we should use the same number of coral and teal and that we would need two WOF browns and 8 of teal and coral to make 50 units. This is important information for those who have limited fabric.
    I wish that Bonnie would either give generalized information like this, not gag us from sharing the info with newbies, or give us an easy way to ask for specific help. The fact that she’s so busy means that she’d be overwhelmed, so I wish that she had some forum specifically dedicated to some of the common problems that we encounter. I certainly don’t want to go against her wishes/instructions, but I also want to see a place for people to get that little bit of extra info that they need in order not to tun out of fabric.
    Thank you for stating what I have been thinking...I don't want to run out of fabric!!
    Now I'm stressing over the clue #2 units!
    Thank you again,
    Kirsten
    Old 12-02-2017, 09:25 AM

Sewbizgirl is right. I have both the EA and CA and I bought the Essential triangle tool. They both do the same thing. I don't think one is better than the other except that the Essential triangle tool is all in one. Usually I just use Bonnie's ETT for her mysteries or her patterns.

Love those blues, sewbizgirl. Hoping your finger heals well.
    Old 12-02-2017, 09:28 AM

Don't stress over it, Kristen. Since I way over cut for clue one, I'm taking it as a less ones learned. I'm now cutting 10 strips, sub-cutting them down to the "geese" and doing it again, so I don't make the same mistake.
    Old 12-02-2017, 09:38 AM

I am just about 50 miles directly south of Tulsa. They need rewiring b/c they start out not electric or b/c of old wiring?
    Originally Posted by NZquilter
    Kass, there are always tons of vintage machines for sale on the Tulsa CL. I don't know where you in OK but I'm sure you could easily find one for about $100. My DH and I will even rewire it for you if you want (I've been really bitten by the vintage bug!)
    Old 12-02-2017, 10:02 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kassaundra
    I am just about 50 miles directly south of Tulsa. They need rewiring b/c they start out not electric or b/c of old wiring?
    It's old wiring, usually. If any bare wire is showing you shouldn't use the machine until you get new cords (Ebay). I have done this on a few of mine, but not all, and have never had the inside wires redone. Been lucky so far.
    Old 12-02-2017, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Sync
    soccertxi, I see that you're in Arizona, so am I. Hmmmm, maybe living in the desert breeds rebels ....... lol
    Maybe so~ I think that is why we still don't use daylight saving time. Either we figure we dont' need More sunlight or we are just stubborn about people telling us what we Have to do! I was never a rebel growing up...kinda fun to be a 'sorta' rebel now!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-03-2017 at 08:48 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS