UFO 2023 Challenge

Old 04-14-2023, 09:19 AM

I did it!! I have finished the 2008 Christmas Exchange Block quilt right down to the label. This is a yearly event with my quilting group, although we have never done a Christmas theme again. I have to say this is not a favorite of mine, but since the blocks are signed by the maker, it is a short trip down memory lane to look at the blocks. I used different quilting quilting techniques in the blocks because I need the practice. It is folded and in the cupboard with all of the other Exchange Block quilts. Now, on to layer another UFO and see if I can get one more done this month.

Having this group does keep me motivated and accountable. I love how the pile of UFOs is diminishing this year. It brings joy to my heart and most UFOs will warm someone via my local Project Linus organization.
Attached Thumbnails 2023-04-14-2009-exchange-block-53x53.jpg  
Old 04-14-2023, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach
I did it!! I have finished the 2008 Christmas Exchange Block quilt right down to the label. This is a yearly event with my quilting group, although we have never done a Christmas theme again. I have to say this is not a favorite of mine, but since the blocks are signed by the maker, it is a short trip down memory lane to look at the blocks. I used different quilting quilting techniques in the blocks because I need the practice. It is folded and in the cupboard with all of the other Exchange Block quilts. Now, on to layer another UFO and see if I can get one more done this month.

Having this group does keep me motivated and accountable. I love how the pile of UFOs is diminishing this year. It brings joy to my heart and most UFOs will warm someone via my local Project Linus organization.
Congrats on these finishes, and I love that snowman block down in the right corner. So cool!
Old 04-14-2023, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Rebaquilts
Congrats on these finishes, and I love that snowman block down in the right corner. So cool!
Me too, That is my favorite of all of the blocks.. I have asked the maker for a copy of her paper piece pattern. She found it then misplaced it again. I still have my fingers crossed that it will show up again. If I get a copy, I will share it with you. He is such a happy fellow enjoying a shoosh down the hill.
Old 04-15-2023, 06:37 AM

Fantastic finish WMUTeach!

Rob
Old 04-15-2023, 08:27 AM

Great finish

There’s a huge tub lurking in my office. Last night it exploded. Some needs to be put away. Some thrown away. Some to dog beds. Some donation. There’s actually 3 UFO’s. One I think will be dog bed. The other 2….just don’t know yet. Maybe finish, maybe not.

Going to get rid of the tub. Too tempting to just throw things into it.
Old 04-15-2023, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by petthefabric

Going to get rid of the tub. Too tempting to just throw things into it.
You are making me laugh, petthefabric! .An empty tub is a temptation. I have been repurposing my tubs to hold Christmas and other holiday decorations. I agree, though. An empty tub is a temptation. I get them out of the sewing room and onto the garage storage shelves. Sounds like you are being a brutal scrap disseminator.

Old 04-16-2023, 11:20 AM

The tub didn’t make it out. The explosion was making my resting place unusable. Sorted it, stored some, removed UFO’s and quilting yardage. A step in the right direction. Explosion contained for now. Give it another 6 months.
Old 05-02-2023, 06:40 AM

So frustrating. My sewing machine I sew my binding broke. The needle holder broke. So it’s in getting fixed. Another 2 weeks and it will be back. Then I expect to have a few pics to show. I’m trying to play catch up.

I counted my UFOs and I really need to start completing them. No I’m not going to tell you my numbers I’m aware of. I just might use other members goal to finish a quilt before starting another. I have at least 30 new (not started, trying to use stash) on my list. I haven’t reached my average goal of finishing up 3 quilts a month.

question for individuals who sew project Linus quilts. What type of batting do you use? My guild says they will only accept 80/20 or 100% cotton batting. I bought polyester batting (thin) to do charity quilts. Where do you use polyester batting? I have about 8 children kits to sew up and need to know. Also do you use a neutral backing fabric or another child designed fabrics?

Enjoy a great day. We are sunny, 70’s today. I just love spring.
Old 05-02-2023, 08:18 AM

I rarely have a finish to post, but today I can at least report that I have given away 11 tops and 22 prepped quilts to a friend who belongs to various groups that finish quilts for charity.

I began to think about which projects I wanted to put more time into in the future, and I know I'm not going to get to everything. So I'm happy to be able to turn these over to others to finish. Somehow, my shelves look just as full as they did before, ha!
Old 05-02-2023, 12:06 PM

Wow, Joe'smom that's 33 UFOs gone! Doing a happy dance for you!

I'm still trying to decide what I want to do with the UFO that I took out at the beginning of the year to complete. It's an art quilt and I think it needs something, but I can't put my finger on what that something is. Meanwhile, I'm trying to keep several other WIPs from turning into UFOs.

Rob