Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • 4H State Winner Bread Recipe!! >
  • 4H State Winner Bread Recipe!!

• 4H State Winner Bread Recipe!!

Old 07-23-2009, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by amma
    Congrats to your 4-H'rs!!! :D :D :D Thanks for sharing with us 8) 8) 8)
    Who could keep these a secret?They are too good!!:)Have fun baking them....much fun!Skeat
    Old 07-24-2009, 05:37 AM

Hi Skeat: I just finished mixing up the Apricot/Coconut rolls that you gave us the recipe for. (I think "for" is a dangling participal...if my 7th grand English recollection serves me correctly...please forgive the "dangle"). The dough is cooling/resting in the refrig for 2 to 24 hours. I wanted to try these rolls to see if I want to use them at the Fair. The day we take stuff to the Fair is always so hectic so I'm hoping I can make these and your other recipe as they can be mixed up the day before and put in the frig then brought out for rising and baking the day of the Fair. That'll help time-wise. Thank you. When the rolls are baked I'll take a picture of them and post it for you to see.
    Old 07-25-2009, 05:46 AM

Hi Skeat:
    Here is a picture of the Apricot Kolache rolls that I made yesterday from the recipe you and your daughter make. I used the Apricot filling in some, and mixed chopped almonds in the apricots instead of walnuts. I mixed pecans with Apple Butter, walnuts and cherry jam and walnuts with the Strawberry preserves. All are very good but we did like the Apricot with almonds best.

Instead of walnuts with the apricots, I used chopped almonds. Yummy!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]37016[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-37016.jpe  
    Old 07-25-2009, 08:07 AM

I made the Dragon Breath Bread ~ after some quibbling with DH that it would be to garlicky with the amount of garlic called for in the recipe. I made the recipe as directed with the exception of putting in the shallots since Skeat said it was good without and I don't use them and would not need the rest for anything else. This recipe is a keeper and not to garlicky as DH thought, he also likes it. The only thing I would do differently the next time is to cut in half the width of the rolled out dough and roll it up and put in a loaf pan. My bread was a bit flat looking and a bit to narrow to use for sandwiches. I shared a loaf with my parents they loved it. My mother said it made an awesome cream cheese and tomato sandwich with the flavor of the garlic and the cheese.

Thanks Skeat ~ it is a keeper!!!

Old 07-25-2009, 02:39 PM

i haven't made this yet but i will. i must say, i've put on three pounds looking at it. i can almost smell the garlic, which happens to be my very favorite food group. :lol: :lol: this is definitely a keeper. thanks.
    Old 07-26-2009, 03:59 AM

Wow! Great you enjoyed too...it is good..! both!! Our dragon bread looked like a monster on the pan...it was huuuuuge...:)Could be a weather issue on the rising or maybe we didn't roll it as flat as we should have. And, too much garlic???Never!LOL Great idea for sandwiches!! And, also....loved the apricot one too....want to try some strawberry next time...(my fav!)Skeat -Thanks for sharing you bread lovers like me!
    Old 07-26-2009, 07:51 AM

just tried it. it's very hot and humid here, so we're running the air. it didn't rise as high as yours, but it was still delicious. if you go a step further and make garlic bread, it's soooooo wonderful. it would kill the undertaker. LOL!
    Old 08-19-2009, 03:29 AM

Skeat: I found a recipe for Master Recipe White bread under the Beginners section of the bread website you gave us. I made it just plain for fair and it was wonderful. Got a blue ribbon on it. It has wonderful texture, browned a golden brown and was just lovely. Bad thing, it dries out really fast. We toasted it as it got too dry but with peanutbutter and jelly on it ...it was to die for.
    Old 08-19-2009, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Feathers
    Skeat: I found a recipe for Master Recipe White bread under the Beginners section of the bread website you gave us. I made it just plain for fair and it was wonderful. Got a blue ribbon on it. It has wonderful texture, browned a golden brown and was just lovely. Bad thing, it dries out really fast. We toasted it as it got too dry but with peanutbutter and jelly on it ...it was to die for.
    Thanks for the that info!! We will print that out for one of the kids next year...it is a great site w/much info and recipes on it...all good so far!:)Thanks for sharing-Skeat
    Old 10-15-2011, 07:10 PM
    Power Poster

Sounds good