Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Amish Friendship Starter Recipe? >
  • Amish Friendship Starter Recipe?

• Amish Friendship Starter Recipe?

Old 05-28-2017, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
    Mr google offers this one. There are others. Try googling and see if you get one that looks familiar. I had a starter a long time ago that didn't use milk.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/allreci...d-starter/amp/
    This a starter for Friendship Bread/Cake but doesn't use fruit. I have some of this in my freezer, I think it has been there for about 10 years, maybe more. I have used the fruit starter a few times but mostly used this one.

If you really don't want to give some away or keep any for yourself, just make cakes and such until it is all gone. These things keep well in the freezer.
    Old 05-28-2017, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
    That is the one I used but never made cake. We are it in vanilla ice cream. It was delicious.
    I remember it also and only used it as a topping for ice cream. Do not recall using yeast but it did smell like alcohol.
    Old 05-28-2017, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy224
    That does look a lot like I remember, but I don't remember getting 7 loaves! Be easy enough to halve. Thank you so much. I do remember it had canned peaches and maraschino cherries but not much else. Quick question: the part of the recipe that states mix 2 pks to coat fruit and then 2 pks with eggs and oil.....the "2 pks" are the cake mixes, right?
    Now to get the calendar and figure out when to start to have those loaves by the holidays.....
    again thank you for looking up your recipe.
    Murphy
    Yes, the cake mixes..... just typed it as I had it all those years ago. I hope you enjoy it.
    Old 05-29-2017, 07:05 AM

I used this recipe 10-12 years ago and loved the cake. I will look for the recipe to see if I still have it. I was looking at the recommended recipes that the members have found for you but I don't remember putting yeast in mine. Just give me some time and will look for it. If you are going to make some for holidays I guess I have some time!! I remember using a bundt cake pan to make it in too.
    Old 06-02-2017, 06:34 PM

I don't remember using yeast for Herman. You left him uncovered the first day to collect mold spores from the air. No fruit in the one we passed around 35 years ago. The peaches went into the cake at assembly time. I recently saw two recipes for sourdough bread. The baker made the starter without yeast and the homemaker used yeast. Both products looked similar when baked.
    Old 12-30-2023, 02:32 PM

Just a Pinch Recipes; Fruit Starter and Friendship cakes. I did a Google search for Friendship Cake starter and 'Just a Pinch' came up in the search. It's almost identical to the recipe I was given over 30 years ago! I'm starting one myself from this recipe. Good luck.