6 cups sliced apples
    1/4 tsp. each: salt, nutmeg
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    1 tbsp. lemon juice
    3/4 cup sugar
    2 tbsp. flour
    2 tbsp. butter

Pastry for 2-crust pie

Place apple slices in pastry-lined pie pan. Sprinkle with next 5 ingredients; dot with butter. Cover with crust, cut vents. Bake 400 degrees for 45 minutes. (some brush top with additional melted butter and sprinkle lightly with sugar)
    Old 12-08-2007, 08:32 AM

Favorite EASY Sour Cream Raisin Pie
    1 cup sugar
    1 c raisins
    1 c sour cream
    1 egg
    Mix and pour into prepared crust. Cover with top
    crust. Bake at 450 for 10 minutes, and 350 for 30 minutes.
    ( optional-add a little cinnamon, if desired)
    Old 12-08-2007, 08:41 AM

Mom's Chocolate Pie(best I have ever had)
    1 3/4 cup sugar
    3 T cocoa
    3/8 c corn starch
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Stir dry ingredients together in large bowl.

Scald 2 1/2 cups milk

Add another 1/2 cup of milk to the dry ingredients.
    4 or 5 egg yolks, beaten slightly.
    Add these to the dry mixture and stir well.
    Add the hot milk and cook until thick.
    Add 2-3 t of vanilla, stir well, and put in BAKED crust. Top with you favorite meringue.
    This recipe originally called for 2 1/2 cups of sugar, but that is almost too sweet to eat!!
    Old 05-18-2008, 10:32 AM

Is it too late to give my Carmel Apple Pecan Pie recipe. It's delicious!

Carmel Apple Pecan Pie
    1 Single Crust Pie shell - unbaked

6 Cups Thinly sliced apples
    3/4 Cup Sugar
    1/4 Cup Flour
    1/4 tsp. Salt
    2 TBLS. Butter
    1 tsp. Cinnamon
    1/4 tsp. All spice
    1/ 2 to 3/4 Cup Chopped Pecans, Walnuts, Almonds OR Macadamia Nuts
    1/3 Cup Carmel Ice Cream Topping

Oven: 425 degrees for first 15 minutes cooking time then you will reduce oven to 350 degrees.

Combine apples, sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon and Allspice. Mix everything together so each apple slice has sugar/flour mixture covering it. Set aside while preparing the pie crust.

PIE CRUST: (Makes 2 Dble Crust Pies & Pie Shell or 48 tiny tarts)
    5 Cups Flour
    2 1/ 2 Cup. Shortening (I like butter flavor Crisco)
    1 tsp. Salt
    1 Egg - break in a MEASURING CUP-Beat w/ wire whisk then ADD:
    1 tsp. Vanilla
    1 tsp. Vinegar
    Fill Measuring cup with enough water to make 1 cup

Cut shortening into flour and salt until crumbly. Pour the 1/2 cup of egg/vanilla/vinegar/water mixture into flour mixture and mix. If more liquid is needed, pour a bit of the last 1/2 cup of liquid in just a bit at a time until it's the consistency you want. This dough handles well and is very forgiving. Never cardboardy or hard. Roll the bottom crust out and place in pie pan. Crimp edge.

POUR the apples into the pastry lined pie shell. Dot the surface of the apples with little chucks of the butter. Bake about 15 minutes at 450 degrees to cook the bottom crust then turn oven down to 350 and bake another 35 minutes. Check it toward the middle to end of cooking time to make sure the crust isn't burning. If it gets to brown, put an aluminum foil tent over the pie. *** Remove from oven and add the chopped nuts and some of the carmel then put back in the oven for another 10 minutes. Remove from oven and serve or can serve at room temperature.

***You don't want to put the nuts on the pie until the end as they burn if left in the oven too long. The last 10 minutes of baking cooks the nuts nicely but doesn't over cook them.

When I serve the pie I drizzle some of the carmel topping on the plate, put the piece of pie ontop of the drizzle then I drizzle more carmel over the top of the pie. Can serve with Whip Cream or ice cream.

Yummy!

Just fixed the nut minutes...you cook the nuts on the pie for 10 minutes NOT 110 minutes! :oops:
    Old 05-18-2008, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Loretta
    Feathers, I have made this crust recipe for 30 years and it has never failed. wonderful crust!
    Hi Loretta:
    Yes, this is a great crust recipe and I use it almost exclusively. I love making pies so make them for every occasion at potlucks, church functions, family get-togethers, etc. Always a perfect, flakey, nummy crust.

:oops: IMPORTANT FOR EVERYONE WHO READS THE RECIPE! :oops: MOONPIE was kind and let me know I said to cook the nuts on the top of the pie only 110 minutes...my fingers hiccupped and I hit the "1" twice...COOK THE NUTS ONLY 10 MINUTES! :oops: :oops: tHANK YOU, MOONPIE!
    Old 05-18-2008, 08:06 PM

I don't know if you'd call this a pie ... but I buy the chocolate graham cracker pie shell and soften mint chocolate chip ice cream. When it's soft enough, I slather it in the pie shell and freeze it up again. Then I slice it and pour that chocolate magic shell topping on it.

:mrgreen:
    Old 05-18-2008, 09:52 PM
    Power Poster

I keep coming back here and put on 10 pounds just reading all of these wonderful recipes :lol:
    Old 08-04-2008, 05:57 AM

I tried this recipe last night. I haven't tried the pie yet, but plan on making more if it turns out. The problem I had was getting the crust to not fall apart when I tried to get it in the pan. Is there a trick to doing it? I used to make pies in my "younger" years and watched my mother all the time, but never had the problems that I had with this crust.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
    Barb
    Old 08-10-2008, 08:45 AM

StitchinForFun:
    When the crust is dryer and falls apart it could be a couple things causing the problem.

1. DON'T dip the measuring cup into the flour bag as you'll get more flour than the recipie calls for. I usually take a spoon and "fluff" the flour in the bag or in the gallon jar I store the flour in then I spoon the flour into the measuring cup.

2. Most crust recipes call for COLD water and I think this is significant if you are doing the crust with just flour, shortening and salt. In the piecrust recipe I posted for the Carmel Apple Pecan pie I used the NEVER FAIL egg and vinegar crust recipe and have never had a failure so maybe the fall apart crust has to do with #1 above. Don't know???

I make pies like a bakery around here and rarely have to fight the crust. I also use a Roll Mat lightly floured. The roll mat i have I got from a home party DeMarle or something like that and it was very expensive but they have since come down in price and can be purchased at most Kitchen Kaboodle or other kitchen stores. The mats work great because you can pick the mat up with your crust on it and flop it in the pie plate.

Good luck, keep trying as I know you can do this!
    Old 12-02-2008, 06:46 PM

Here's one of our favorite, I even buy extra cranberries just to make it during the year. It's soooo easy. I make it in a baking dish because one pie isn't enough. In a baking dish, I triple the crust. In a deep dish pie pan, I would double it. I hope you enjoy it.

Cranberry Nut Pie

1 1/4 cups Ocean Spray® Fresh or Frozen Cranberries
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar

1/4 cup chopped walnuts
    1 large egg
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted

Preheat oven to 325ºF. Grease a 9-inch pie plate.

Layer cranberries on bottom of pie plate. Sprinkle with brown sugar and nuts. Beat egg in a medium mixing bowl until thick. Gradually add sugar, beating until thoroughly blended. Stir in flour and melted butter; blend well. Pour over cranberries.

Bake 45 minutes. Cut into wedges. Serve with ice cream, if desired.

Makes 6 servings.