Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Buttery, Chewy, Sugar Cookies >
  • Buttery, Chewy, Sugar Cookies

• Buttery, Chewy, Sugar Cookies

Old 02-11-2012, 11:17 AM

Default Buttery, Chewy, Sugar Cookies

Last night I made a triple batch of my favorite sugar cookie recipe. These are so buttery and chewy and delicious. The two important keys to making them taste so good, #1 don't overwork the dough, #3 don't overbake them. The kids are all coming for Sunday dinner and I wanted to have enough to send home with them. Today I am frosting all of those cookies and wondering "What was I thinking making a triple batch?"

1/2 cup butter at room temperature
    2 cups sugar
    2 large eggs
    2 tsp pure vanilla
    1/4 cup milk
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    4 cups flour (or more)
    Bake 7-8 minutes at 350 degrees. Do not let the edges brown if you want them to be chewy. If you like a crisper cookie you can bake them a little longer.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]310869[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails sugar-cookie-8.jpg.jpg  
    Old 02-11-2012, 11:34 AM

now I FEEL BAD--I need to make cookies and I am on here---oh by the way you are now missing one of those cookies off the plate mmmmmm-i am having it with my coffee--hahaaaa See you can have your cookie and stay on the board!! I feel for you icing all them-i do the same and think as you did-but everyone loves them and loves us for them right? Just don't tell them you would rather be quilting or reading on the board!!!!!!
    Old 02-11-2012, 02:40 PM

How do you know if you need more than 4 cups of flour? How many cookies does a single recipe make? I love sugar cookies! Yours look delicious.
    Old 02-11-2012, 03:00 PM

Pastimequiltdesigns....I just saw this recipe on your blog, i am so impressed with this recipe. I was looking for a treat to make that was not heavy on chocolate... These look sooooooo very yummy! And they would go perfect with a cup of tea or coffee. I will probably make myself a batch Sunday. I just love all the recipes you post on your website! Thanks so much for sharing. P.S. Have you selected a winner yet for your quilt with no name? I looked yesterday but did not see it yet. P.S.S. I also love lemon flavored anything...lolll
    Old 02-11-2012, 03:25 PM

Your cookies look so good just like my mom used to make , I sure do miss my mom she passed in August
    Old 02-11-2012, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by SundarKoyal
    Pastimequiltdesigns....I just saw this recipe on your blog, i am so impressed with this recipe. I was looking for a treat to make that was not heavy on chocolate... These look sooooooo very yummy! And they would go perfect with a cup of tea or coffee. I will probably make myself a batch Sunday. I just love all the recipes you post on your website! Thanks so much for sharing. P.S. Have you selected a winner yet for your quilt with no name? I looked yesterday but did not see it yet. P.S.S. I also love lemon flavored anything...lolll
    Hi Sundar,
    I have not yet chosen a winner for the contest as my quilter went out of town for 3 weeks and was not able to get my quilt finished before she left. I'm still open to suggestions from everyone. I'm so glad you are enjoying the recipes on my blog. I love to cook and quilt and cook and quilt and nap. Peggy
    Old 02-11-2012, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by sassey
    Your cookies look so good just like my mom used to make , I sure do miss my mom she passed in August
    I'm so sorry to hear that. My mom died of breast cancer 10 years ago and I miss her every day. She would have loved quilting. I feel so bad that I didn't get into it until after her death. I see moms and daughters attending BOM together at the quilt shop and wish my mom was quilting with me. I hope you have a Happy Valentines Day. Peggy
    Old 02-11-2012, 08:14 PM

Hi Sue,
    You only need more flour if you feel the dough is too sticky to roll out nicely. I don't bother chilling the dough but some people say you should for at least an hour. I just work in a little extra flour by hand when I roll it out and dust my rolling pin with flour. I don't think I have ever made a single batch but I'm guessing it would make about 4 dozen cookies depending on how big your cookie cutter is. Peggy
    Old 02-12-2012, 06:40 AM

Thanks. Will have to try your recipe. I usually make the Wilton sugar cookie recipe but love to try new stuff. Your recipe has more eggs and has the milk. Plus great to make for Tuesday!!!!
    Old 02-12-2012, 02:58 PM

Red face

Yes they do look yummy and I am writing down the recipe...have tomorrow off so will be baking... Yummy
    Snow cold here in Ohio so the oven will warm up the kitchen...Thanks...