Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Be careful of the type of cinnamon you use. >
  • Be careful of the type of cinnamon you use.

• Be careful of the type of cinnamon you use.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:20 AM

I clicked on this thread expecting to read another of those theories that have very little science to back them up. But--having followed the links and read the articles, I then checked my Brand Name cinnamon supplement and horror of horrors!! In contains only Cassia Cinnamon. Well, you all know where that bottle is going!! Next time I am in town I shall visit the health food store and read some labels.

Onebyone. Thanks for the head's up.
    Old 01-21-2016, 06:59 AM

In high-enough doses, coumarin can cause liver damage in a small group of sensitive individuals.

But experts say that adults would have to eat a lot of Cassia cinnamon to be at risk. For an adult, that limit is about a teaspoon a day, according to the daily tolerable intake set by the European Food Safety Authority — or roughly about as much cinnamon as you'd find in an entire batch of cookies.

But Ikhlas Khan, who authored that study, says unless your kid is on a cinnamon roll diet, there is no need to panic.

<header>
    Erik Slajus
    Eric Cartman2 years ago
    </header>YOU'LL TAKE OUR SPICES WHEN YOU PRY EM FROM OUR COLD DEAD HANDS.

Last edited by AZ Jane; 01-21-2016 at 07:02 AM.
    Old 01-21-2016, 07:05 AM
    Power Poster

Very fascinating post. I hardly use cinnamon any more since I stop cooking. I have to worry about the salt content in the Lean Cuisines I eat.

Last edited by ManiacQuilter2; 01-21-2016 at 07:09 AM.
    Old 01-21-2016, 07:27 AM

I am very fortunate to live near a wonderful store (Pendery's) which specializes in spices, seasonings, and rubs. We buy all of our spices there including high oil cinnamon and there IS a difference. They also sell on line at www.penderys.com.

If you live in the DFW area or travel here it's a must visit for foodies. The store is located in an old house near downtown Fort Worth, and just walking in the front door is a treat. There is an amazing, pleasing aroma of all types of spices. They carry a lot of stuff that's hard to find anywhere else including more chili blends than you can imagine. The store is family-owned and operated dating back to over a century. I LOVE going there and no, I am not related to the family!
    Old 01-21-2016, 07:52 AM

Research shows that Cassia cinnamon does contain coumarin which is dangerous in large quantities of a gram (1,000 milligrams) a day for 6 months. So unless you eat the stuff by the spoonful everyday you should be ok with an occasional cinnamon roll or piece of pie, even cinnamon toast.
    Old 01-21-2016, 07:55 AM

I never thought there was a difference until I tried Penzy's cinnamon. There are several blends of cinnamon from different countries that are amazing as well as regular cinnamon. We are lucky to have a store here, but they do mail order.
    Old 01-21-2016, 08:56 AM
    Power Poster

I am glad I found the Ceylon cinnamon for the taste and my searching found it does have better health benefits. I use a lot of cinnamon. I usually double the amount called for in a recipe.
    Old 01-21-2016, 09:00 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Originally Posted by Doggramma
    We use a lot of cinnamon. I get it at Penzeys and it's really good cinnamon
    I have alot of Penzeys spices as I found theirs are better quality and better tasting.
    Old 01-21-2016, 09:03 AM
    Power Poster

I rarely use cinnamon of any kind. Not a big fan. When I make pies, I get a couple sticks of the Ceylon and grate it.
    Old 01-21-2016, 05:32 PM

I used to buy any spices, even at the Dollar Store. I saw something on tv about "icky" things found in spices. Now I buy bulk at a Health store and transfer to spice bottles at home. So much fresher, there really is a difference and I will never go back to the old stuff.