Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Carving out quilting time for myself. >
  • Carving out quilting time for myself.

• Carving out quilting time for myself.

Old 11-05-2023, 08:16 AM

Default Carving out quilting time for myself.

About once a week I plan and cook big for reheating in the coming days. My husband doesn’t mind leftovers. This allows me to spend extra time sewing and I’m all for that.
    I also keep a simple daily list of 3 things I need to get done and cross them off. If I fail to get all 3, nobody’s coming after me because it’s my own plan. it just keeps me on track & current.
    How do you make time for quilting ?
    Old 11-05-2023, 08:42 AM

Those are great plans! My husband does not enjoy leftovers so i rarely cook big. I wish i was enough on top of the game to only have 3 things!!!!!!!!!
    Old 11-05-2023, 08:58 AM

With the hubby's ketovore (mostly meat) eating style, I prefer to cook large batches of things. Fortunately for us, he does not mind eating meat leftovers. I usually only cook a couple days per week, but I might make 3 different things on a single day. Instead of the Costco rotisserie chickens, we've been buying the packages of pulled meat from them and have developed a number of ways of quickly turning the pre-cooked chicken into some pretty good dinners!

Today we are going to a local Lebanese social group fund raising dinner midday. Tonight or tomorrow I have quite a bit to cook, a thawed pork roast (about 3 pounds) and planning on a big batch of Joe's Special (ground beef with mushrooms, spinach, eggs and parmesan).

I'm lucky that he likes hearing me sew, yesterday was as much sewing as I've done in a couple years. Sometimes I wish I had more demands on my time other than quilting (ok, mostly I'm fine with limited demands). Now that we've moved I have no family and just new acquaintances not quite in the friend category. One of the neighbors down the street sent up some of nachos stuff she had prepared for trick or treaters -- with the cold snap bringing temps down and Halloween being on a Tuesday she had lots of things prepared but less than half the expected trick or treaters. I was taught to return dishes with something in them, took me a bit but I think the savory version (add small can of Ortega Chilis and cheese) of the Jiffy Mix Corn Casserole would be a good return dish. Just got back from the store with the ingredients and plan on that adding to my cooking chores tomorrow.

Today we are going to a local Lebanese social group fund raising dinner midday. Tonight or tomorrow I have quite a bit to cook, a thawed pork roast (about 3 pounds) and planning on a big batch of Joe's Special (ground beef with mushrooms, spinach, eggs and cheese).
    Old 11-05-2023, 11:54 AM

I try to make big casseroles and extra portions so that I have more free time. The problem is, no matter how big the dish is, my DH will come into the kitchen after I go to bed and eat the entire thing. I made a casserole large enough to feed 12 people the other night and the next morning...there it was...gone...just an empty dish. Needless to say, I didn't make dinner the next 2 nights.

:::sigh:::
    Old 11-05-2023, 12:52 PM

Tropit, there would be some colourful words coming out of my mouth if that happened to me! I applaud your self-control in simply uttering a sigh...

I like to batch cook, too, and then I make up small one-or two-meal portions to put in the freezer. Larger yogurt containers hold two (or a bit more) good-sized bowls of soup, for example, and small sour cream containers can have an entire ham dinner for one squished in there! (We are not really big eaters in our house, so the portions are quite modest). Reducing plastic waste and food waste in one easy step. :-)
    Old 11-05-2023, 02:11 PM

It's just me and I love to cook a big batch of whatever and not have to cook for a while. I’m fine eating the same thing for several days. I too try to stay on top of housekeeping simply because I like a tidy house. This year has been a challenge to find time to quilt simply because work has been extremely demanding! We, like everyone else, have found it difficult to find employee’s and, since that is part of my job to find said unicorn’s, it has been interesting! One day I will post some of my favorite encounters. I hope that these last few weeks of the year allow me to finish my last project and get one more quilted.
    Old 11-06-2023, 03:36 AM

I don't like to eat the same thing day after day, but I'm OK alternating. So I make two big things and sometimes vary how they're served (e.g., chili one night, taco salad the third night, with something else in between).
    Old 11-06-2023, 04:41 AM
    Power Poster

I only cook if I want to. My husband and I don't like a lot of the same foods or eat at the same time most days so I make what I like and he grills what he likes. We go out to eat once a week at our favorite restaurant. The kids all come over for cook outs during the summer and pot roasts for winter. After the usual house chores are done I have the rest of the day to sew and all evening if I chose. . He is an avid reader so that what he likes to do. He plans his day and I plan mine.
    Old 11-06-2023, 05:28 AM

Add me to the list of folks who like to make enough for extra meals. I try to do that once a week. Sometimes, it's only enough for one more meal, sometimes, it's enough for several. As we go into late fall/winter, that's easier - soups and casseroles are ideal for this. Soups, we usually have one meal and freeze the rest for future meals. Quick, easy meals for the future without eating the same thing 3 times in a week. I also make large batches of spaghetti sauce and meatballs, then freeze in meal size containers.

My husband, thankfully, is not a fussy eater.
    Old 11-06-2023, 05:48 AM
    Power Poster

. I don't see the why in having to make a meal every day for my husband who is capable of cooking and eating when he is hungry. When he worked and I was home, I had a meal ready for him every evening but now we are both home that stopped the day after he retired. Meal planning everyday is not something I want to do for the rest of my life so I don't do it anymore.