Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Chicken Broth.... >
  • Chicken Broth....

• Chicken Broth....

Old 04-11-2017, 10:29 AM

Watson, I'm sure your stock is delicious and would suit the diet of a sick patient just fine. Both stock and broth are easy enough to digest. which sounds like what the patient is needing. Broth will be milder, stock a little fuller in flavor is all.

Depending on how much chicken soup I want to make, I'll either use a piece or two of bone-in meat, or the whole chicken, boil it salt, pepper, celery, bay leaf, and onion (no carrot if it's for a sick person who can't have solids), and a pinch of turmeric for that golden color, and then simmer it till the meat is falling off the bone. Keep the solids and extra broth (or stock) for yourself and everybody wins. Chicken soup is just so comforting, and when someone makes it with love, it's like liquid healing in a bowl .
    Old 04-11-2017, 01:04 PM

When I make stock, and I do regularly, I always add meat and bones, celery, carrots, and onions. I also add just a little curry powder, and turmeric for the healing properties. Strain after simmering several hours, and use or freeze. Crock pots work nicely for this. When I use the crock pot, I start it before bed, so when ever I have time, I can strain and freeze the next day.
    Old 04-11-2017, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
    I take the leftover pieces from a deboned chicken or chuck roast leaving some meat. I add two cloves of garlic, parsley and coarsly ground peppercorns, 2 or 3 " pieces of carrot and celery(2 of each) and a quartered up small onion. Place it all in my pressure cooker for about 3 hours on the simmer function. Let pressure release naturally and strain through cheesecloth. Store in either mason jars for use within a week or freeze for later use.

To freeze I place a ziploc bag into a quart sized upright container fill about 3/4, close up and add container and all to freezer. After a few hours remove frozen broth from container and place back in freezer. To thaw place in a bowl larger than bag and thaw in fridge.
    Oh! I forgot to mention parsley. I use fresh parsley and it adds a nice flavor.
    Old 04-11-2017, 04:03 PM
    Power Poster

All pre packaged broth and stock tastes terrible. I make mine. It takes almost all day to get the best tasting stock. The key is getting it cooled down before bacteria sets up. Putting in fridge won't do it. I put dry ice in a cooler with the pot of stock to get it cooled as fast as possible. I use Alton Brown's way of making it. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...n-stock-recipe
    Old 04-11-2017, 06:06 PM
    Power Poster

I would think chicken broth for a sick person would be made by boiling chicken. I would not think spices would be wanted in it by the doctor. I just boil boneless chicken breasts until it is done. I pour the broth through a strainer, cool it and drink it.

Before making it I would ask the doctor or his nurse on how it should be made.
    Old 04-11-2017, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle
    I would think chicken broth for a sick person would be made by boiling chicken. I would not think spices would be wanted in it by the doctor. I just boil boneless chicken breasts until it is done. I pour the broth through a strainer, cool it and drink it.

Before making it I would ask the doctor or his nurse on how it should be made.
    I don't think parsley, pepper and bay leaf would hurt and they sure make it taste better than just boiled chicken.
    Old 04-15-2017, 10:20 AM

Thanks all....I ended up with legs with backs attached, browned them a bit, then added carrots, celery, 1/2 an onion (with skin), a few peppercorns, parsley, 2 cloves of garlic and bay leaf. Put it in my pressure cooker where it is happily hissing and rocking away for 3 hours. Smells good.
    My yogurt containers are ready once it's all cooled and skimmed, to freeze it in for her.
    Can you believe my farmer's market had no beef bones? I will have to go to the butcher's later in the week.

Watson