Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Chiu Chow Chili Oil >
  • Chiu Chow Chili Oil

• Chiu Chow Chili Oil

Old 12-28-2023, 10:09 AM

Default Chiu Chow Chili Oil

OK...this is my last post today...promise.

I made this super hot tasting chili oil a couple of months ago and it has become our most favorite hot sauce. It is hot, so fair warning. I love that it has some umami earthiness to it. It seems to get better the longer it sits in the fridge. Be careful breathing in the fumes when you make it. I have a bumper crop of hot chilis so I'm going to make another batch soon.

https://thewoksoflife.com/homemade-chiu-chow-sauce/
    Old 12-28-2023, 11:09 AM

Oh my gosh, this looks very similar to a delicious hot chili oil my husband and I bought a year or so ago and fell in love with, but it has seed oils in it. Now I can make my own without the seed oils!! Thanks, tropit!!
    Old 12-28-2023, 05:30 PM

You're quite welcome. I love that site. She has a lot of real, Chinese recipes that are so delicious!
    Old 12-28-2023, 07:35 PM
    Power Poster

Chilis look delicious and smell wonderful but I have never tasted flavor in chili pepper. Just heat. When a dish is served with chili pepper in it all I taste is heat no flavor of the dish at all. I have tried most all chili pepper sauces and dishes and never got passed a couple of bites. A dash of fresh ground pepper is enough for me.
    Old 12-30-2023, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    Chilis look delicious and smell wonderful but I have never tasted flavor in chili pepper. Just heat. When a dish is served with chili pepper in it all I taste is heat no flavor of the dish at all. I have tried most all chili pepper sauces and dishes and never got passed a couple of bites. A dash of fresh ground pepper is enough for me.
    That's too bad. Various chilis have a wide variety of interesting flavors. We grow several kinds in our garden each year.
    I grew up eating super spicy foods, so I guess that I'm just used to the heat...although I don't like things as hot as I used to. Regular, Mexican hot sauce seems mild to me. I barely taste the heat, just the flavor. Valentina's is our regular, every day hot sauce in our house. We always have a big bottle of it in the fridge. Chiu Chow is really hot, but earthy tasting. I just need a couple of drops on my food.