• Recipes
  • chocolate cake recipe >
  • chocolate cake recipe

• chocolate cake recipe

Old 07-17-2010, 10:19 AM
    Power Poster

Hellmann's has one.
    Old 07-17-2010, 10:30 AM

Thanks for all the help so far. However, I am not looking for a sheet cake. I want a layer cake. I will look at the on southern living.
    Old 07-17-2010, 10:34 AM

Yep, I'd bet that was Texas Sheet Cake.
    Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    When we were little my grandmother made the only chocolate cake I would eat. It was made in a large cookie sheet and I would love to find that recipe again. It tasted more like brownies than actual chocolate cake that is why I liked it. All other chocolate cake can go in the trash at my house since I now live alone.
    Old 07-17-2010, 11:21 AM

I think i've gained 5# from just looking at the recipes! :-D
    Old 07-17-2010, 12:02 PM

Texas sheet cake is awesome! This recipe is from Lady Bird Johnson. I prefer to use the 3T of cocoa, but the original recipe used 1/4 cup both in the cake and the frosting. We don't use the nuts when we make it.
    It is quick to make because you make the frosting while the cake is baking, pour it over the cake straight out of the oven, and you're done! I hate waiting for a cake to cool.

This cake is moist, chocolatey and altogether delicious.

Texas Sheet Cake

3 – 4 Tablespoons cocoa
    1 stick margarine
    1 cup water
    2 cups sugar
    2 cups flour
    2 eggs, beaten
    ½ cup buttermilk
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Frosting recipe (below)

Preheat oven to 400 F. Grease and flour a 10x15x1-inch pan.

In a medium saucepan, bring cocoa, margarine and water to a boil, stirring constantly, over medium heat.

In a large bowl, stir together the sugar and flour. Pour the cocoa mixture over and blend well. Add the eggs, buttermilk, baking soda and vanilla.

Spread evenly in the prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes. Prepare the frosting.

When the cake is done, immediately pour the frosting over it and spread evenly.
    Makes 20 servings.

Frosting: In a medium saucepan, bring to a boil 1/2 cup margarine, 3 – 4 Tablespoons cocoa and 6 tablespoons milk. Add 1 pound powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 cup chopped pecans. (we never use the nuts)

PER SERVING: Calories 395 (43% fat) Fat 19 g (3 g sat) Cholesterol 19 mg Sodium 204 mg Fiber 1 g Carbohydrates 54 g Protein 3 g

Enjoy
    Carol B
    Old 07-17-2010, 12:10 PM

I haven't tried this one, but it's on my list to try.

Best-Ever Chocolate Cake

3/4 c butter, softened
    3 eggs
    2 c all-purpose flour
    3/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    3/4 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 c sugar
    2 tsp vanilla
    1-1/2 c milk

Chocolate-Sour Cream Frosting (see recipe below)

Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease bottoms of three 8-inch round baking pans or two 8x8x2-inch square or 9x1-1/2-inch round cake pans. Line bottom of pans with waxed paper. Grease and lightly flour waxed paper and sides of pans. Or grease one 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Set pan(s) aside.
    In a mixing bowl stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder; and salt; set aside.
    In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, about 1/4 cup at a time, beating on medium speed until well combined (3 to 4 minutes). Scrape sides of bowl; continue beating on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition (about 1 minute total). Beat in vanilla.
    Alternately add flour mixture and milk to beaten mixture, beating on low speed just until combined after each addition. Beat on medium to high speed for 20 seconds more. Spread batter evenly into the prepared pan(s).
    Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes for 8-inch square pans and the 13x9x2-inch pan, 30 to 35 minutes for 8- or 9-inch round pans, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool cake layers in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Peel off waxed paper. Cool thoroughly on wire racks. Or place 13x9x2-inch cake in pan on a wire rack; cool thoroughly. Frost with desired frosting. Makes 12 to 16 servings.

Chocolate-Sour Cream Frosting: In a large saucepan melt 1 12-ounce package (2 c) semisweet chocolate pieces and 1/2 c butter over low heat, stirring frequently. Cool for 5 minutes. Stir in 1 8-ounce carton dairy sour cream. Gradually add 4-1/2 c sifted powdered sugar (about 1 pound), beating with an electric mixer until smooth. This frosts tops and sides of two or three 8- or 9-inch cake layers. (Halve the recipe to frost the top of a 13x9x2-inch cake.) Cover and store frosted cake in the refrigerator.

Carol B
    Old 07-17-2010, 12:13 PM

I have found a recipe for chocolate dump cake. It is in the oven as we speak. However, from my baking experience I just had to cream the butter and sugar. I know from the past that if you do not cream the sugar and butter you will have a mess. which I do not need another one. So far it looks good in the oven. At least it is staying in the pan and rising. I got wise this time. The recipe called for 2 8" pans. I used 9" instead. I also added just a little bit of melted dark chocolate candy. I just hope it taste good. I will update when all if finished. Oh, and this time I placed a cookie sheet on the rack below the cake pans just in case it decided to rise on up of the pans.
    Old 07-17-2010, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by ctack2
    I haven't tried this one, but it's on my list to try.

Best-Ever Chocolate Cake

3/4 c butter, softened
    3 eggs
    2 c all-purpose flour
    3/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    3/4 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 c sugar
    2 tsp vanilla
    1-1/2 c milk

Chocolate-Sour Cream Frosting (see recipe below)

Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease bottoms of three 8-inch round baking pans or two 8x8x2-inch square or 9x1-1/2-inch round cake pans. Line bottom of pans with waxed paper. Grease and lightly flour waxed paper and sides of pans. Or grease one 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Set pan(s) aside.
    In a mixing bowl stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder; and salt; set aside.
    In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, about 1/4 cup at a time, beating on medium speed until well combined (3 to 4 minutes). Scrape sides of bowl; continue beating on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition (about 1 minute total). Beat in vanilla.
    Alternately add flour mixture and milk to beaten mixture, beating on low speed just until combined after each addition. Beat on medium to high speed for 20 seconds more. Spread batter evenly into the prepared pan(s).
    Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes for 8-inch square pans and the 13x9x2-inch pan, 30 to 35 minutes for 8- or 9-inch round pans, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool cake layers in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Peel off waxed paper. Cool thoroughly on wire racks. Or place 13x9x2-inch cake in pan on a wire rack; cool thoroughly. Frost with desired frosting. Makes 12 to 16 servings.

Chocolate-Sour Cream Frosting: In a large saucepan melt 1 12-ounce package (2 c) semisweet chocolate pieces and 1/2 c butter over low heat, stirring frequently. Cool for 5 minutes. Stir in 1 8-ounce carton dairy sour cream. Gradually add 4-1/2 c sifted powdered sugar (about 1 pound), beating with an electric mixer until smooth. This frosts tops and sides of two or three 8- or 9-inch cake layers. (Halve the recipe to frost the top of a 13x9x2-inch cake.) Cover and store frosted cake in the refrigerator.

Carol B
    Thanks for the recipe. It sounds sort of like the one I am baking now. Except it did not give the directions as above. Even though the above is the way that I put it together.
    Old 07-17-2010, 12:17 PM

Oh, and I lower the temp of my oven 5 degrees.
    Old 07-17-2010, 12:24 PM

When baking cakes, I usually lower the temp by 25*. After I pour the batter into the pan, i bang it on the counter or beat the bottom with my hand to release most of the air bubbles. These two things cause the cake to be more even after baking - not humped up in the middle like cakes usually are.
    Carol B