Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Chocolate Tomato Soup Cake >
  • Chocolate Tomato Soup Cake

• Chocolate Tomato Soup Cake

Old 03-08-2020, 02:25 PM

Default Chocolate Tomato Soup Cake

In "Hints from Heloise" column today she gave a recipe for a chocolate/tomato soup cake. The recipe is as follows:

18 oz. box of dry chocolate cake mix
    1 - 10-3/4 oz. can of tomato soup
    1 tsp. baking soda
    2 eggs

Mix well and bake according to the directions on the chocolate cake mix box.

Has anyone made this?

Thanks, fellow quilters!
    Old 03-08-2020, 03:43 PM
    Power Poster

I haven’t tried chocolate cake mix cake with tomato soup but a scratch tomato soup cake is quite good. Kind of like a spice cake.
    Old 03-08-2020, 03:44 PM

No I haven't but my mother made a from scratch tomato soup cake that was excellent. It is a moist spice cake and you would never know it contained tomato soup. If your concerned about the chocolate & tomato combination, you could try it with a spice cake mix instead.
    Old 03-08-2020, 03:48 PM
    Power Poster

There are several Tomato Soup Cake recipes in my Mom's church cookbook from back in the 50s. Each with it's own twist. None had chocolate though. The one I liked the most, as a kid was spicy and with raisins.

Googling, I found the recipe's evolution via the Campbell's Soup website, right through to one using a boxed cake mix. Though it is a spice mix, not chocolate.
    https://www.campbellsoupcompany.com/...up-spice-cake/
    Old 03-08-2020, 08:44 PM

This was a blast from the past! My mom used to make this for us when we were kids. This would have been late 50's to early 60's. Not sure if it's the exact same recipe, but I know it was tomato soup and chocolate cake mix. Yummy!!
    Old 03-09-2020, 12:55 AM

It is a blast from the past! but not the recipe, sorry don't know anything about it. But I was surprised to see the words "In "Hints from Heloise" column today". I read Heloise's column way way back in the day (late 60"s early 70's) and a lot of what I learned about housekeeping was from her columns. Looked forward to her column every day in the paper. I knew she had passed away back in the late 70's but did not know her daughter had taken over and that the hints were still alive and well. Did a google search and found out about the "new" Heloise and it is heartwarming to know that her daughter had taken over and that Heloise is alive and well. No longer subscribe to newspaper or magazines, but found her on the internet. Nice!
    Thanks for the memory.
    Old 03-09-2020, 04:52 AM
    Power Poster

I had no idea Heloise's daughter still did columns!!! But I don't get the paper so maybe that's why!
    Old 03-09-2020, 09:54 AM

Sending this along to my friend who is in a Bunco group. She loves to make different desserts for them. Thank you.
    Old 03-21-2020, 03:12 AM

I have a recipe for a tomato cake from the 70's that a friend gave me. It too is a spice cake and it's delicious, but it was also made from scratch..This made my mouth water, so I think I need to take the time to find that recipe I have tried in years. Thanks for the reminder.
    Old 03-28-2020, 06:30 AM

I have made the tomato soup chocolate cake. It was really good. It was a "war/rations" cake.
    I wonder what I did with that recipe...
    Kirsten