Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Cookbooks and Hand Written Recipes, Oh my! >
  • Cookbooks and Hand Written Recipes, Oh my!

• Cookbooks and Hand Written Recipes, Oh my!

Old 06-24-2012, 05:47 PM

Smile Cookbooks and Hand Written Recipes, Oh my!

My neighbor passed away about 18 months ago. Her bachelor son has moved into her home and is gradually making the place his own. He asked me on Friday if I would like to have his mom's cookbooks. Absolutely! Yesterday morning he brought over 15 books from the 30's to current regional church cookbooks, along with a huge file drawer of 4x6 hand written recipes from when she was a young bride and throughout the rest of her life, some with the name of who gave her the recipe, some with the place she got the recipe. She and her husband traveled the world over so there are recipes from France, Sweden, Germany, Italy, Holland, China, Japan, the only places I have not run across yet are Egypt and Turkey.

I am pretty amazed and overwhelmed by his generosity. I said I'd like to run across her recipe for stuffed grape leaves, He said "If you find her cheese cake recipe - that's the ticket!" I hope I can find it so I can make him one to repay him.

He gave me her sewing machine about 6 months after she passed because he knows I sew. I told him I would repair it and give it back so he would have one. He declined but said if he needed something sewn he'd bring it by. Then, about a month later I came home to find her Kitchen Aid mixer on my porch! He says he will never use these things and he knows his mom would want me to have them. She had cancer and for the last 2 months all she wanted to eat was home made bread. I baked bread every 2 days so she had fresh bread. She was a great lady, I miss her.
    Old 06-24-2012, 05:51 PM

How kind of you to do such personal things for her. And her son knows what you did and is showing his appreciation. I think these things show your real inner self.
    Old 06-24-2012, 06:16 PM

So glad to see there are people like you still out there. I'm also glad that her son recognized all you did.
    Old 06-24-2012, 11:34 PM

What fantastic neighbors! I collect cookbooks. I liek to buy one from the area when we travel. Enjoy them!
    Old 06-25-2012, 06:30 AM

Can't remember the complete saying but RAOK comes to mind. What a lovely soul you have and how nice that her son recognizes that. Angels upon your shoulder.
    Old 06-25-2012, 06:34 AM
    Power Poster

Bless you for being such a kind neighbor to her in her time of need. Her son was raised right, as he knows to give things to someone who will use and take care of his Mom's things. Thanks for sharing your story~
    Old 06-25-2012, 08:03 AM

Thank you for such a wonderful, sweet story, it brought tears to my eyes. You were truly a blessing to your neighbor in her final months, I am so glad that her son was able to replay you for your kindness in such a lovely way. His mom would have been proud of him!
    Old 06-25-2012, 09:40 AM

She must have told her son a lot about you, otherwise he wouldn't know how special you are.
    Old 06-25-2012, 10:40 AM

What a wonderful testament of friendship, kindness and gratitude you have shared with us. It is a very inspirational story. See the world still has kind, generous and gentle people in it! Thank you.
    Old 06-25-2012, 10:47 AM

It probably brings him a little closure to know you will continue to cherish those things that she valued. Sounds like his way of thanking you.