Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • County Fair Cake Entries >
  • County Fair Cake Entries

• County Fair Cake Entries

Old 09-15-2024, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by PB from MN
    Congratulations to you and your daughter!
    Thank you for the kind words. I'll pass that on to my dau.
    :::blush:::
    I hope that by sharing my annual county fair experiences some of you will get brave and enter your own local fair. Honestly, unless you are entering a big, state fair, or bake-off, the bar isn't that high. Most entries get some sort of ribbon. Give it a try next year...it's fun!
    Old 09-15-2024, 08:53 AM

The recipes that I used were from the following websites, with a few changes to make them my own.

Coconut cake: I changed recipes several times and went with Ina Garten's recipe. I did try out the Instant Clearjel in this recipe and it came out and stayed very moist. I also toasted some of the coconut to give the cream cheese frosting more color and flavor. I garnished it with dried pineapple flowers. My main taster was my DH who thought that it was too heavy and way too sweet and I agreed. However, the judges seemed to like it.
    https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-1947027
    Old 09-15-2024, 09:00 AM

The French Almond Cake recipe was from The Daring Gourmet. I changed up the recipe a bit by changing out the green tea glaze (too exotic for a rural county fair) for a honey-orange glaze, and topping it with toasted almond slices and a dusting of powdered sugar. I forgot to use the instant clearjel. We loved it and it'll be a keeper at our house. However, another cake beat me out of 1st place, so it's back to the drawing board on this recipe.
    https://www.daringgourmet.com/french...a-honey-glaze/
    Old 09-15-2024, 09:23 AM

Things that I learned this time around...
    1. Judges like lots and lots and lots of flavor and good execution. They appreciate an extra effort taken in displaying the entry and above all, they are addiment that you follow the exact instructions for entering your baked goods. eg: Don't do what I did one year by making a 3 layer cake when the instructions call for a 2 layer cake.

2. Have a good plan on how to get the cake there in one piece. Pad a box for the cake with bubble wrap, bring a tool kit for patching up any boo boos that may happen along the way and maybe have someone else drive while you hold your precious cargo.

3. Remember that your baked good may sit around for a couple of days before it is even judged. Then, it has to be on display for a few days more. Things can dry out, or worse...melt during that interim. Be prepared and choose your recipe accordingly. No 7-minute frosting, no melted chocolate ganache. Wrap your baked goods up tight when you hand them over to the staff and adjust your recipes to compensate for the delay and possible heat or humidity.

4. Practice your chosen recipes several times in the weeks leading up to the fair. There will be lots of mistakes, but that's how you will learn.

5. Have fun and above all be a good sport and take in the good words and suggestions from the judges.
    Old 09-15-2024, 08:00 PM
    Power Poster

Following the rules/ guidelines is important - for almost any competition.

The cake reckpes sounded yummy!

Old 09-30-2024, 11:11 AM

I would post pictures of my ribbons, but alas, the fair ran out...seriously...that's how small my local fair is. The poor young man in front of me was picking up his beautiful artwork, which had won a 1st place and a best in show. The fair worker threw a 3rd place ribbon at him and said, "We're out of ribbons. Here, this is the best I can do. Take it, or leave it." I felt so sorry for him. I doubt that he'll enter anything again. They need new employees. Anyway...we did get little entry cards with 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or best stickers on them.