Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Crustless Spinach Quiche >
  • Crustless Spinach Quiche

• Crustless Spinach Quiche

Old 07-16-2023, 10:23 AM

Default Crustless Spinach Quiche

In a dish, elevate a 10 oz box of frozen spinach and refrigerate overnight to thaw. The liquid runs off by doing this.
    Heat 1 Tblsp olive oil in sauté pan and add 1 cup chopped onion and 1 cup (or more) sliced fresh mushrooms.
    Sauté until onion is soft.
    Remove from heat, add 1 cup chopped ham and thawed spinach.
    Spread mixture evenly in greased pie pan.
    Whisk 5 eggs with black pepper. Salt is optional.
    Pour over spinach mixture and top with 2 cups shredded cheese. I used Swiss and Colby Jack because it’s what I had. Bake 325-350 for 40 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes.
    Serve with fruit, yogurt and coffee.
    Old 07-16-2023, 01:22 PM
    Power Poster

Almost like the recipe I use.

I was surprised that my husband likes it as much as he does, with ham of course.

Crustless Quiche. Easy

Ingredients:

1/2 lb mushrooms sliced thin
    4 eggs
    1 cup sour cream
    1 cup small curd cottage cheese
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    4 tablespoon all purpose flour
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    4 drops Tabasco sauce
    2 cups shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack
    1/2 lb chopped cooked ham or 6 oz. frozen spinach, thawed and well drained.

Directions:

Preheat 350º

saute fresh mushroom in butter until tender, drain on paper towel. In a blender or food processor, blend eggs, sour cream, cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, flour onion powder, and Tabasco sauce. Pour mixture into bowl and add mushrooms, cheese ham or spinach. Pour into 10" quiche dish. Bake 45 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand a few minutes before serving.

Note: I usually use the jar mushrooms, drained Any shallow pan or dish with straight sides will allow the eggs to rise. The quiche will fall after cooling but it looks so great right out of the oven.

I make often so I bought a quiche dish. It bakes evenly and has more volume. It tastes great reheated too.

Last edited by Onebyone; 07-16-2023 at 01:40 PM.
    Old 07-16-2023, 02:39 PM

That is what we call a frittata--Italian egg pie. We had one just last week, with sauteed onions, celery, carrot, garlic, chopped capacollo, chopped broccoli, a mixture of shredded cheeses and eggs of course. It's a real fridge cleaner-outer around here.
    Old 07-17-2023, 05:01 AM

Your recipe sounds great and I actually like spinach in things, just not by itself if cooked. Your recipe sounds like an Impossible Pie recipe where there is no crust or very little flour in the recipe that will sink down to the bottom while baking to make very little crust. I like those recipes when I making a dessert for someone that is trying to go "glutton". In those times I'll use almond flour.

Great recipe, thanks. I'd add some mushrooms to the mix too. I'm one of those that like to clean out the freezer or fridge so it becomes more like.......everything but the kitchen sink.............recipe.
    Old 07-18-2023, 08:16 AM

Sounds delicious! I make something similar as a breakfast meal. I just throw the spinach, eggs and milk in the blender and whizz it up, pour it in a pan and put cheese, seasoning, herbs and whatever else on top. When it's half way done, I pop it into the oven to finish cooking on the top. We call it our "green omelette."