Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Doesn't Everyone Know This? >
  • Doesn't Everyone Know This?

• Doesn't Everyone Know This?

Old 11-08-2012, 04:51 AM

That is SO funny!! I really did LOL!

I do all the things the previous posters mentioned, PLUS, I will pry out that last bits of deodorant (solids) from the container and press them onto a new stick. Then when you are applying it, lean over the bathroom sink in case pieces fall off. Stick them back on if they fall off.

Also should mention DH has the world's largest collection of spatulas and is always finding more. He needs the perfect spatula for each jar he empties. He is so tight he can squeeze a nickel until the Indian rides the buffalo.
    Old 11-08-2012, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Scrappy Gram
    I have ironed and trimmed many miles of Christmas paper, washed out plastic bags, reused aluminum foil, have never thrown out a garment without removing the buttons and zipper, used both sides of sheets of paper (my mother would have a fit if blank paper got thrown out) - I thought this was all NORMAL ... lol
    Oh, Gram, you throw out garments! Where do you get dust cloths, scrub rags, carpet strings and quilt pieces?
    Old 11-08-2012, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Greenheron
    Oh, Gram, you throw out garments! Where do you get dust cloths, scrub rags, carpet strings and quilt pieces?
    Oops - didn't mean throw out - meant take out of use as a garment and make into a cleaning rag or, in the case of jeans, patches for other jeans.......thanks for catching my error.....lol
    Old 11-08-2012, 12:07 PM

Oh yes reusing Christmas wrapping paper! I snatch it up soon as its opened and carefully fold it up for next year. But one time my son and daughter got together and "gifted" me with a box full of new paper. Then my son said he thought this sheet has been used enough. It still had a sticker on it. He is now 40 years old, a college professor and his gift tag read "To Jeffy From Santa". I agreed it had been used for many years. But then I saved it again!
    Old 11-08-2012, 12:58 PM

So the speaker was a comedian, right?
    Old 11-09-2012, 06:47 AM

I have a small pair of scissors in the bathroom that is used to cut the toothpaste tube to get the 5 brushings that are still left in a tube that other people (read HUSBAND) would throw away
    Old 11-09-2012, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Scrappy Gram
    Oops - didn't mean throw out - meant take out of use as a garment and make into a cleaning rag or, in the case of jeans, patches for other jeans.......thanks for catching my error.....lol
    LOL right back. When my DM passed away my brother asked if I wanted her sewing things. Of course I did, I learned to sew on her 1950 Kenmore. He delivered a pickup truck load. Now I have the box of zippers Mom ripped and saved and the (seems like) 120,000 buttons in tins. I recognize the button sets tied together with cord or threaded on safety pins as the ones from my grandmother's button stash. I also have bundles of cards with 8" of seam binding, snaps (some salvaged from garments), hook & eye sets and elastics of various weights and lengths.

I have brought myself to discard all the elastic with rotten rubber.
    Old 11-09-2012, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by RugosaB
    I have a small pair of scissors in the bathroom that is used to cut the toothpaste tube to get the 5 brushings that are still left in a tube that other people (read HUSBAND) would throw away
    Ditto!! I do that as well.
    Old 11-09-2012, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by klutzyquilter
    just the thought of some beans and cornbread has made me want some !!

Me too (want some beans and cornbread)! My mother was born in 1923. I was born in 1964. Therefore I definitely picked up some frugal ways from her. I always add a little water to the last of the dish soap to get all of it out. If the handsoap is getting low, I add a wee bit of water to that too. Although mostly I use dish soap in all the hand soap dispensers anyway. I am to cheap to buy a special hand soap.
    Old 11-10-2012, 09:18 AM

I re-use aluminum foil all the time. Not the Dollar Store variety, of course - but if you are just covering a casserole or something - why not? I re-use freezer bags too. But getting that extra bit out of the sauce jar! Honestly - what will they think of next???!!!