Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Food prices are increasing. Too fast and too much! >
  • Food prices are increasing. Too fast and too much!

• Food prices are increasing. Too fast and too much!

Old 12-07-2021, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by tropit
    I know...I might be beating a dead horse here, but try going meatless. It's much cheaper and still pretty tasty.
    I eat partially meatless because of my food sensitivities. I'm not a fan and have a lot of trouble getting in enough protein. I'm not a fan of beans and neither is my body so it's tough to get enough protein without meat. My nutritionist wanted me to get off dairy too. At that point, I just wasn't getting enough protein which at 69 is not a good thing. I limit meat, eat more fish than I'd like and just try to keep costs down and still get enough nutrients. I do miss meat in my dishes though
    Old 12-07-2021, 10:13 AM
    Power Poster

I make a smoothie using protein powder, 30 gram per serving when I don't eat much protein for the day. Keeps me full a long time. Protein powder is great to mix with lots of blendable foods.
    Old 12-07-2021, 10:31 AM

As for gender roles...I believe that both people should learn to both kinds of things. I hate that my husband resorts to the year 1954 when it comes to doing dishes, cleaning up after himself, shopping for his clothes, etc. I'm not his "mommy," nor am I a "hausfrau." These chores take away from my time to do other productive things when he doesn't help out...not to mention hurting my dignity.

He probably hates me asking him to work on my car, chop the wood, or make home repairs. (I do know how to do many of these things, but he always takes all of my tools. What mine is his and what's his is his.) He feels like I'm working him to death and that I don't care about him. (I really do care about him.)

As for money...both should always know what's going on with the finances. There should probably be one person to keep the books, but no one should be kept in the dark about anything. No hidden bank accounts, no overblown spending sprees, everyone should be in agreement about where the money goes for major purchases, retirement, etc. Talking about money is hard, but it might be one of the best ways to save a marriage down the road. A good accountant isn't a bad idea either.
    we have a safe in the house & DH wanted me to open it. He was annoyed with me when I said open it yourself. I say what if I was laying in the hospital. He got a new attitude and opens it himself now.
    Old 12-07-2021, 03:59 PM

Tropit...I have a Costco rule...no cart. If I can't carry it, I don't get it. Keeps the bill down and I only get essentials.

Watson
    Old 12-07-2021, 05:01 PM

Great idea Watson. But....I would really love to be a fly on the wall when you need toilet paper, paper towels and dog food! The mind boggles!
    Old 12-07-2021, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    I make a smoothie using protein powder, 30 gram per serving when I don't eat much protein for the day. Keeps me full a long time. Protein powder is great to mix with lots of blendable foods.
    I used to do that. Unfortunately, with my food sensitivties, I haven't found a protein powder I can tolerate. I wish I could. It would make things much easier.
    Old 12-07-2021, 09:04 PM
    Power Poster

Unfortunately, with my food sensitivties, I haven't found a protein powder I can tolerate.

Vital Performance Protein powder is lactose free. It may work for you. I buy it at Walmart.

https://www.vitalproteins.com/blogs/...protein-powder
    Old 12-08-2021, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    Unfortunately, with my food sensitivties, I haven't found a protein powder I can tolerate.

Vital Performance Protein powder is lactose free. It may work for you. I buy it at Walmart.

https://www.vitalproteins.com/blogs/...protein-powder
    It's not lactose that bothers me.The nutritionist wanted me off dairy because it's inflammatory. It's mostly the processing and fillers that bother me. I tried Vital Proteins. They make a very good product, but my body doesn't like it very well.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 12-08-2021 at 06:06 AM.
    Old 12-08-2021, 06:00 AM
    Power Poster

We used to call Costco the "$200 store" because we could never get out of there for under that. Now, I think that it's more like the, "$500 store." However, I did use my dau's card yesterday to buy gas. I saved 10 cents/gallon. I didn't go into the store, though...too financially dangerous!
    So true! To be honest Paull likes going there a lot more than I do. My brother told me that Beatles book I wanted was 60.00 at Costco. It's 100.00 everywhere else. But it was gone. Boo hoo !!
    Old 12-09-2021, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Watson
    Tropit...I have a Costco rule...no cart. If I can't carry it, I don't get it. Keeps the bill down and I only get essentials.

Watson
    Oooohhh...good idea! I'm going to have to tell my dau that one.