Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Have you frozen buttermilk? >
  • Have you frozen buttermilk?

• Have you frozen buttermilk?

Old 05-09-2017, 06:13 AM

I too use the powdered, (and keep refrigerated) Alton Brown from Good Eats cooking show recommended it on one of his segments.
    Old 05-09-2017, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by JENNR8R
    Whenever I buy fresh buttermilk, I always have some that goes to waste. For that reason I buy the buttermilk powder. I keep the container in the freezer. There are instructions on the back how much powder and water to use for your recipe. It works the same as fresh for baking and no waste.
    I do the same thing. No waste and it's there when you need it.
    Old 05-10-2017, 02:18 AM

Absolutely. I sometimes go to a pretty close local dairy, they have the "real" buttermilk made from churning butter, yes I get fresh churned butter as well. I freeze the buttermilk in pint jars. It does get thinner for some reason but works great for baking or marinating chicken. I don't even know the fat content of this stuff but it is wonderful, rich, buttery and just the right tang. Nothing at all like the cultured buttermilk in the grocery stores. I also freeze the butter as I buy it in 2 pound rolls, cut up, wrap, and bag. It works great too.
    Old 05-10-2017, 04:03 AM

I want to visit where you live, Murphy224. My dad used talk about the buttermilk he grew up with. I bet it's what you are talking about. It's funny the things that spark a memory. Thanks for the smile.
    Old 05-14-2017, 03:45 PM

I to like the powered buttermilk
    Old 05-16-2017, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by toverly
    I want to visit where you live, Murphy224. My dad used talk about the buttermilk he grew up with. I bet it's what you are talking about. It's funny the things that spark a memory. Thanks for the smile.
    Ever in or passing through Upstate South Carolina, Happy Cow Creamery is the place to go.

http://www.happycowcreamery.com/
    Old 05-16-2017, 03:18 AM

What a great name for a creamery. It reminds me of those California cow commercials where the earthquakes massage their feet. Thanks, I'll remember that if ever I get up that way from Pensacola.
    Old 06-21-2017, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by LavenderBlue
    You know how it goes......you buy a quart of buttermilk to make pancakes or (in my case) a batch of ranch salad dressing, and what to do with the rest? I read online that buttermilk can be frozen but separates and needs to be shaken upon thawing. Wondering if any of you have successfully frozen buttermilk. Thanks!
    ABSOLUTELY - in ice cube trays. Do the same with Coconut milk, coffee, tea, squeezed lemon juice if I have them. I like cold coffee latte's in the warmer months and having frozen coffee cubes (same with tea cubes) keeps the drink from being diluted by too much melting regular ice cubes. I also freeze any homemade stocks I make too. In Muffin tins or baggies. If using baggies I get as much air out as possible then lay them on a cookie sheet and freeze flat. They can then stand up in a bin in the freezer for better use of the space. I do this with all kinds of stuff I freeze.