Help

Old 06-12-2024, 03:39 PM

Default Help

Just tried my pickled beets and they are under cooked, almost raw. Can they be saved
Old 06-12-2024, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

Bummer.

Maybe cut them into slices and try simmering them for a few minutes until tender?

I have no idea if this will work, but it seems like it might?

Beets do take a long time to cook. Especially if they are big and tough.
Old 06-13-2024, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

I googled ... and didn't really find anything to directly solve your problem.

However, I did find several recipes where you DO NOT cook the beets. Rather, you slice on a mandolin or grate the raw beet. Put in jar and add the hot brine. Apparently makes a nice crunchy pickle.

With that in mind? Could you slice the beets? Or chop? and eat them in their crunchy state? Or reboil their own pickle juice and add to the jars?
Old 06-13-2024, 09:36 AM

I had that happen once when the beets were picked late in the season and had gotten too large. I put them back in the kettle, recooked them to the desired doneness, reheated the brine to boiling and rejarred them. I always slice my beets unless they are smaller like walnuts, then I'll leave them whole. Piercing with a fork is usually enough to tell if they are cooked through, but as they are sliced you can also tell if they are cooked enough. I cannot imagine eating them raw as I don't like a strong "beet" taste, but that is just me. That's why I pickle them. haha
Old 06-14-2024, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
I googled ... and didn't really find anything to directly solve your problem.

However, I did find several recipes where you DO NOT cook the beets. Rather, you slice on a mandolin or grate the raw beet. Put in jar and add the hot brine. Apparently makes a nice crunchy pickle.

With that in mind? Could you slice the beets? Or chop? and eat them in their crunchy state? Or reboil their own pickle juice and add to the jars?
Just tried this , cut my pieces smaller, recoiled the brine, put beets back in hot brine and it worked. Thank you .
Old 06-14-2024, 03:51 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by true4uca
Just tried this , cut my pieces smaller, recoiled the brine, put beets back in hot brine and it worked. Thank you .
You're most welcomed!
I've always loved pickled beets, so am happy for you that this worked.

How many more jars of crunchies, do you have?
Might as well do them all now, so they are right and ready when you want to eat them.
Old 06-14-2024, 04:47 PM

I just tried 3 qts. Saw a recipe for refrigerator pickled beets on the internet so had to try them. My second try and of course these beets were much bigger than my first batch and I boiled them the same number of minutes. Need to adjust my timing.
Old 06-15-2024, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by true4uca
I just tried 3 qts. Saw a recipe for refrigerator pickled beets on the internet so had to try them. My second try and of course these beets were much bigger than my first batch and I boiled them the same number of minutes. Need to adjust my timing.
Timing is so variable! I find I just do the ol' poke and check routine. If I have varying sizes, I split them into separate boils, or take the smaller ones out as they are ready and continue on with the others.

One year, I was worried they were not cooked enough, and boiled some more. They definitely were not good as they ended up closer to mushy! Yuck!! So now I try to stop before the poke is too easily made!

Good Luck!