Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Holiday and pom jelly >
  • Holiday and pom jelly

• Holiday and pom jelly

Old 01-03-2011, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by DoxieFive
    I do not understand the measurements listed for sugar in the pomegranate jelly recipe. Will you please let me know how much sugar to add to the four cups of juice? We have pomegranate bushes and I would love to make jelly from their fruit. They produce more than we can eat. Thanks for your recipe!
    I think maybe it's the paragraph marks that are throwing you off. 7, 1/2 (3, 1/4 lbs) sugar means

7 & 1/2 cups sugar (which means 3 & 1/2 pounds) That sounds like almost double the sugar which sounds extreme to me but I've never made the recipe.
    Old 01-03-2011, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by kathome
    I do not understand the measurements listed for sugar in the pomegranate jelly recipe. Will you please let me know how much sugar to add to the four cups of juice? We have pomegranate bushes and I would love to make jelly from their fruit. They produce more than we can eat. Thanks for your recipe!
    I think maybe it's the paragraph marks that are throwing you off. 7, 1/2 (3, 1/4 lbs) sugar means

7 & 1/2 cups sugar (which means 3 & 1/2 pounds) That sounds like almost double the sugar which sounds extreme to me but I've never made the recipe.
    Pretty much standard in old jelly recipes, to use the same amount of juice as sugar. Seems like a lot doesn't it?
    Old 01-04-2011, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by pgthom

Pretty much standard in old jelly recipes, to use the same amount of juice as sugar. Seems like a lot doesn't it?
    Right, but this is almost DOUBLE the amount of sugar to juice!
    Old 01-06-2011, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by pgthom

Right, but this is almost DOUBLE the amount of sugar to juice!
    That sounds like way too much sugar to me.
    Old 01-06-2011, 05:10 AM

I just looked up a Pomegranate Jelly recipe on line. I found one that calls for 5 cups sugar to 4 cups pomegranate juice. Hummmmm, more sugar than juice. Pemegranates are sour little buggers for sure!
    Old 09-30-2011, 05:35 PM
    Power Poster

Good recipes