Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Homemade Ketchup Recipes? >
  • Homemade Ketchup Recipes?

• Homemade Ketchup Recipes?

Old 09-17-2023, 11:19 AM

Default Homemade Ketchup Recipes?

It's tomato season and we have a ton of tomatoes. Time to make some Ketchup (Catsup.) I have a recipe from my old "Stocking Up" cookbook, but I'd love to hear if any of you have some good recipes. Please share.
    Old 09-17-2023, 11:47 AM
    Power Poster

I remember making ketchup and mayo in Home Ec class in ninth grade. This was before immersion blenders were available for home use. It was a chore. LOL They were very good. I made ketchup a lot when in school but don't have the recipe any more. Maybe search for recipes taught in home ec classes. I think most of the recipes came from the home extension office.
    Old 09-17-2023, 07:10 PM

I've used the Minimalist Baker ketchup recipe a couple times. I'm not really thrilled with it though.

I make mayo all the time. I'm hooked on homemade mayo and it's so easy.
    Old 09-19-2023, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom
    I've used the Minimalist Baker ketchup recipe a couple times. I'm not really thrilled with it though.

I make mayo all the time. I'm hooked on homemade mayo and it's so easy.
    Thanks, I'll take a look at that. I have an old fashioned recipe from my Stocking Up cookbook. It calls for a lot of spices and doesn't taste anything like store bought ketchup. We like it, but it's not for everyone.

Gosh...you remind me...Homemade mayo is so good and simple to make. I don't know why I don't do that more often. I have chickens that give me fresh eggs, we have lemons on the trees and good olive oil in the pantry...yumm. Now I have another project.
    Old 09-19-2023, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    I remember making ketchup and mayo in Home Ec class in ninth grade. This was before immersion blenders were available for home use. It was a chore. LOL They were very good. I made ketchup a lot when in school but don't have the recipe any more. Maybe search for recipes taught in home ec classes. I think most of the recipes came from the home extension office.
    I have an immersion blender in the shed...somewhere. My DH put many of my kitchen items in there when we first moved here, 12 years ago. He's crammed so much useless stuff in the shed that there's no way that I can get to it. It's easier to just buy another one. (Putting on Christmas wish list.)
    Old 09-19-2023, 04:48 PM

I make a twist from Living Traditions Homestead's recipe on YouTube. The video is called "Move over Heinz. I seriously made the best ketchup recipe ever." We don't like sweet ketchup so we changed the amount of sure and tweak spices as it cooks but this is the base recipe we use.
    Old 09-19-2023, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by JerseyMomma
    I make a twist from Living Traditions Homestead's recipe on YouTube. The video is called "Move over Heinz. I seriously made the best ketchup recipe ever." We don't like sweet ketchup so we changed the amount of sure and tweak spices as it cooks but this is the base recipe we use.
    I just looked that up. Aaarrrggghhhhh. I really hate recipes that are only on youtube and not a written recipe. You have to listen to someone who often has a semi annoying voice explain how to do things. I'd so much rather have a written recipe.
    Old 09-19-2023, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom
    I just looked that up. Aaarrrggghhhhh. I really hate recipes that are only on youtube and not a written recipe. You have to listen to someone who often has a semi annoying voice explain how to do things. I'd so much rather have a written recipe.
    1 1/2 Cups Onions

1 Cup Sugar

1 1/2 Cups mixed Vinegar (apple cider and regular)

1/8 Pickling Salt

1 tsp + part of 1/3 Garlic Powder

1/2 tsp fine black pepper

1/8 tsp Celery Seed

1/4 tsp Mustard Powder
    Old 09-21-2023, 05:29 AM
    Power Poster

Not catsup but my husband just made a batch of chili sauce. It's fantastic! I could just drink the stuff!
    Old 09-21-2023, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by JerseyMomma
    1 1/2 Cups Onions

1 Cup Sugar

1 1/2 Cups mixed Vinegar (apple cider and regular)

1/8 Pickling Salt

1 tsp + part of 1/3 Garlic Powder

1/2 tsp fine black pepper

1/8 tsp Celery Seed

1/4 tsp Mustard Powder
    Instructions?