Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • InExpensive Meals? >
  • InExpensive Meals?

• InExpensive Meals?

Old 05-07-2010, 01:20 PM
    Power Poster

Great recipes you guys! I love making cassaroles, as you can really stretch the meat with pasta or rice. I never think of the pot pies and my kids love the frozen ones!
    Old 05-07-2010, 02:07 PM

I can't tell you how much this one costs....but 30+ yrs ago I did a calc and it was something like $.50 a serving. It makes a BIG dutch oven full. My kids, grandkids and nieces and nephews always ask for it when they come over.

Spanish Rice

Brown 1 ½ lbs hamburger (leftover steak or roast is good to go with this)

Add
    1 ½ cups chopped onion (approx)
    1 cup chopped celery (approx)

Stir and allow to steam for 10 minutes

Add’

6 cups hot water
    2 cups raw long grain rice
    1 ½ tsp salt
    ½ tsp black pepper
    2 TBSP sugar
    ½ tsp garlic power or salt (approx)
    1/8 tsp cayenne pepper ( adjust to your heat level)

Cook covered till rice is done on low heat (approx 20-30 min)

Stir in 4 (10 oz) cans Campbells Tomato Soup (no other brand)
    Old 05-07-2010, 02:18 PM

One of our favorites is to take a can of Progresso 0 point soups, which have lots of flavor, add a can of any kind of beans, a can of veggies, and top with chopped celery and onions for a little crunch. We do this about once a week in the winter, less often in the summer. It makes about 6 or 7 cups of soup, which is 2 meals for us for about $4 total, full of fiber and veggies.
    Old 05-07-2010, 03:28 PM

You are very lucky to have a job. I have been out of work since January of "09 so I know what you are going through. Two very cheap and quick dinners are:

Quesadillas. Heat up a skillet and spray it Pam or butter, lay a tortilla (We use whole wheat) sprinkle with grated cheese. Top with another tortilla and heat until the bottom tortilla is toasty and carefully turn over. Continue to cook until the second tortilla is toasty. Slice like a pizza. If I have leftover chicken or browned hamburger I will add it to the cheese. Serve with salsa or pico de gallo. You can add a salad or tomato soup.

Cowboy Beans.
    Brown one pound of hamburger (or turkey) with one small onion, one green pepper, two sticks of celery and some garlic
    When the hamburger is no longer pink Add four large potatoes . Add four cups of water or broth and simmer for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are done. Now you get to use whatever is in the cupboard. (Like the cowboys used to have to do) A few minutes before serving, add at least one can of beans, corn or mixed vegetables whatever sounds good. You can add more water to make a soup or simmer until thicker like a stew. Serve with biscuits. Kids love it.
    Old 05-07-2010, 04:22 PM
    Power Poster

GrammaNan, sorry to hear youre out of work. Yes, I am lucky, since our GM plant went down a few years back, the whole country started shutting down....really sad. Very few jobs left!
    Old 05-07-2010, 04:37 PM

Thanks Carriann, I appreciate your kind words. I don't let it get me down (well, maybe a little) but we are making it. I create our menus around the discounted meat at our grocery stores. I can usually find some pretty good discounts late on Sunday evening. I shop all of the sales. It takes more time, but I get the weekly ads, circle the items that I am interested in and shop at every store. I buy real rice instead of instant now. I make more things by scratch like pancakes and waffles, biscuits and bread. I have lots of time now. I don't use coupons because they are usually for things that I don't normally buy, but I know many people that save money with them. Good luck, I hope this tips help.
    Old 05-07-2010, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by reneebobby
    okay this is bad but I have to do it anyways so here it goes

day 1 make a chicken dinner with the works, mash taters, corn, salad, whatever, oh and save the drippings from the bird.

day 2, take your bird and make chicken soup

day 3, take chicken soup throw in leftover gravy, thicken pour into pie crust, top with another pie crust. oh and add more vegs.

3 big meals all for under $20.00 total.
    rb, that sounds delicious. invite me over for dinner(s).

that's another take on my pot pie fridge cleanup. buy a two crust frozen pie shell, bake the bottom. throw in every bit of leftover meat (no fish) and veg you find in the fridge, add a can of gravy or make your own. crimp on the top crust, bake and call it home-made pot pie. cleans out your fridge, and you only buy the crust and gravy. when my husband was single he ate - are you ready? - spaghetti omelettes. beat up a couple of eggs, stir into leftover spaghetti and pan fry in margarine or butter. hey, it's a protein and a starch.
    Old 05-08-2010, 07:04 PM

About two months ago I decided to go vege--just lost my taste for meat. That saves alot at the store. You can get your protein from beans, etc. I LOVE tofu--really--just saute it in Pam (or a little butter) with a package of asian frozen veges. Add a little oyster sauce if desired. Good taste and good for you.
    Old 05-08-2010, 07:25 PM

did anyone mention meatloaf, that all-american favorite?

plan on .5 - .75 lb per person, because you'll get more than one meal out of this.
    and stretch the meat with breadcrumbs, eggs, cracker crumbs, onion, whatever you like.

1. meatloaf w/mash, and then -

2. open face slices on toast w/dripping gravy, and then -

3. crumbled into a noodle casserole with cracker crumbs on top.

all you need is a side veggie and you're good to go. and the best way to save money is always serve a cup of soup first. very filling and nutritious, too.
    Old 05-10-2010, 03:59 AM

I have also learned to use French Style Green Beans in the meatloaf. Kid's don't even seem to notice they are eating green beans.