Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Intense Blackberry Jam Ideas >
  • Intense Blackberry Jam Ideas

• Intense Blackberry Jam Ideas

Old 06-03-2019, 04:01 AM

I am heading to liquor store today to buy some vodka and whiskey to infuse with some of my strawberries. I have made more than enough jam and still have some more left.
    Old 06-03-2019, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bobbinalong
    When I make blackberry jam I always put it through a mouli to remove the seeds. I don't know if that improves the flavour, but making a lot of jam for our allotment shop I've found our customers prefer it seedless.

charley26, I have always brought the fruit to the boil to dissolve the sugar and then left it overnight as I found it really improved the set. This was confirmed recently on The Kitchen Cabinet, Radio4 (if my memory serves me well), although I can't remember the science; something to do with the pectin I guess.
    Yes, the seeds can be a bit troublesome. I heard kitchen cabinet today too! I have always followed Delia, and just slowly bought all to a simmer until the sugar has dissolved - no grainy 'feel' at the bottom of the pan, and then bought it to a rapid boil until setting point reached. Sometimes I warm the sugar in the oven for a little while to speed up the dissolving of the sugar.
    Old 06-04-2019, 12:02 PM

I think that I'll go seedless next time. The seeds can be a pain to deal with when eating toast. I think that it will make it more tasty too.

~ C
    Old 06-04-2019, 12:59 PM

I don't know how they made it or what liquor they used but when I was young I remember my Mom, Aunt and an uncle making cherry bounce. I think they had to shake it once a day.
    Old 06-04-2019, 01:11 PM

I add lemon, vanilla (from the bean) and blackberry liqueur to the jam and allow the fruit to macerate overnight. I don’t use pectin. I make a combination of jam, preserves, and aigre doux. I also make homemade syrup for sparkling water. I use the jam and preserves as accompaniments for cheese and charcuterie.
    Old 06-04-2019, 01:53 PM
    Power Poster

My grandmother would save the white lining from oranges to make jam. She said it was a natural pectin. I don't remember exactly how she used it but her blackberry jam was delicious. Tasted like fresh picked blackberries in blackberry curd. She would give the pastor six pints each year but no one else. My brother use to eat it by the spoonsfull right out of the jar. He would write his name on the canned jars in her pantry. LOL