Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Marshmallow disaster >
  • Marshmallow disaster

• Marshmallow disaster

Old 12-20-2013, 01:01 PM

I have always wanted to make homemade marshmallows and wondered if it was too complicated...now I know I should pass!
    Old 12-20-2013, 08:17 PM

Oh my gosh.......Sorry I laughed so hard. Sounds really messy to me!
    Old 12-21-2013, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by willferg
    I have always wanted to make homemade marshmallows and wondered if it was too complicated...now I know I should pass!
    They really aren't that difficult and the taste is SO different from the ones you get at the grocery. My recipe doesn't call for egg whites. There was a thread on this QB about marshmallows and recipes with variations. Once you make them, you'll never go back to ones that are mass produced.
    Old 12-21-2013, 06:18 PM

Just this afternoon I let my bread rise too long and to my DH's joy there was "done lap" bread on the sides of the pan. He loves this because it is so nice and crispy. So I guess he probably would love marshmallow fluff too. I am so lucky that my DH will eat my mistakes and not complain. LOL
    Old 12-22-2013, 03:51 AM

I am almost done choking now and recalling my very first and last "Chestnut Roasting Fun Day". Nobody told me you had to poke a hole in the little buggers. In the oven they went and in short order, I heard loud noises coming from the oven. I then made my second mistake, I opened the oven door. It was the 4th of July and Armistice Day all exploding in the oven and all over the kitchen, including shreds and pieces on the ceiling. It looked like burnt foam rubber and smelled even worse. So, when I hear "Chestnuts Roasting on the Open Fire" these days, it makes me kind of sick to my stomach.
    Old 12-22-2013, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Yooper32
    I am almost done choking now and recalling my very first and last "Chestnut Roasting Fun Day". Nobody told me you had to poke a hole in the little buggers. In the oven they went and in short order, I heard loud noises coming from the oven. I then made my second mistake, I opened the oven door. It was the 4th of July and Armistice Day all exploding in the oven and all over the kitchen, including shreds and pieces on the ceiling. It looked like burnt foam rubber and smelled even worse. So, when I hear "Chestnuts Roasting on the Open Fire" these days, it makes me kind of sick to my stomach.
    If we had been cooking in the same kitchen that day, I guess we would have had to close up the house and move.
    Old 12-22-2013, 05:10 AM

I'm surprised. I started making it yrs ago when I got the recipe from Martha Stewart, it is great, so much better than the store bought. You use a lot of powered sugar when you put it in the pan so that it doesn't stick to the pan and you can cut it. I haven't made it in a while but loved doing it and the surprise that it brought to people's faces when they saw it and tasted it.