Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Need Fresh Herb Recipes >
  • Need Fresh Herb Recipes

• Need Fresh Herb Recipes

Old 03-11-2012, 02:37 PM

Default Need Fresh Herb Recipes

I've been growing fresh basil, oregano, and rosemary but can't use them fast enough. What do you do with it? I haven't dried any of them but am willing. But really want to use them in fresh cooking: salads, veges, meat dishes, etc. Have any good recipes to share?
    Old 03-11-2012, 03:18 PM
    Power Poster

You can use the fresh herbs in any of your recipes calling for dried herbs. It takes more of the fresh, than dried.

I don't have any specific recipes ... when I have fresh herbs, I just toss them in with most everything I make ... salads, meats, poultry, sauces, etc.

If you have an overbundance and are going to continue in that way, you might want to plant some up and give to a friend to enjoy.

You can also freeze them with a little water, in an ice cube tray, and then toss as many ice cubes as you require when making things in the future.
    Old 03-11-2012, 06:55 PM

I dry them and put in pretty jars. Some things like dill, I put in a little coffee grinder and grind them. Then put them in jars. Actually the flavor is there, sometimes more than fresh. That way I can sprinkle them on salads etc.
    Old 03-12-2012, 06:03 AM

There are many different types of pesto you can make...serve it up on meat or pasta..very versitle stuff
    http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/fresh_basil_pesto/
    Old 03-12-2012, 07:53 AM

I haven't tried it, but I've seen some folks freeze fresh herbs:

http://www.cheapvegetablegardener.co...eze-herbs.html
    Old 03-12-2012, 08:13 AM

I chop & freeze my basil without water. Just put in a ziploc freezer bag. For pizza I just drizzle a little olive oil on it and defrost for a few minutes, works great!
    Old 03-12-2012, 09:11 AM

Cindy, the rosemary shouldn't be a problem because it'll last thru out the winter. I have a really big bush right now. It and my sage always keep going thru the winter. Sometimes my oregano comes back but that depends on the winter. I haven't checked yet this year. Have you tried the caprese salad for your basil. I love basil fresh on sandwiches, salads anything that could use some freshing up. You can mix any fresh herbs with sour cream or yogurt to make dips. Both herbs are also good for freezing as well. I even buy them frozen in little cubes at Trader Joes in the winter months. Good luck.
    Old 03-12-2012, 02:21 PM
    Banned

here is my fave way to KEEP them. Pick them, wash them, pat them dry, chop them and place them mixed up into ice cube trays. Fill trays with water, place in freezer. When frozen pop cubes into ZIploc bags labeled. Italian, Mexican, French, etc...then when you want to use them, either toss the whole cubes into the pot OR thaw them out in a fine mesh strainer and use them that way!
    Old 03-12-2012, 05:05 PM

Try making basil pesto - it's delicious and very easy to make. I made a batch last Fall, froze globs of about two tbls each on wax paper, put in zip loc bag. Just make a little pasta and put a thawed glob or two on the pasta and mix - delicious. Just google basil pesto recipes - there are tons of them.
    Old 03-13-2012, 06:19 AM

Try looking at the San Antonio Herb Society site ---http://www.sanantonioherbs.org/Member_Recipes.htm they have some good recipes!