Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Need green veggie recipe >
  • Need green veggie recipe

• Need green veggie recipe

Old 11-10-2010, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
    I think you should be able to bring whatever you want to a potluck, makes for some VERY interesting meals..
    I agree isn't that the definition of Pot luck- you get whatever comes. But quite often someone coordinating the potluck decides to assign catagories. We had one woman once actually assign what dish each person was to bring -it wasn't side dish it was you bring baked beans, you bring coleslaw, you etc.

Any way Green bean casserole is a favorite here and at work. At least one will bring it sometimes 2 and it is always completely gone. If you mix it up and bake it the night before wait with the fried onions till the next morning if your going to heat it up and take it in the pyrex to go carrier, or if in a crock pot put them on 15 min or so(if you can) before your starting the potluck, but if not it will be ok to put them on top when you plug the pot in. You can also vary the recipe however you like add spices or make them cheesy.
    Old 11-10-2010, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by BMP
    I think the assigned idea is not so bad, that way you have plenty of variety and not all of something say desserts. Its still potluck just in a more organized way. Thats how we do it in our family, some of us are better bakers and some of us are better at something else we just ask each to bring something in a certain category
    This way isn't so bad if they put up a list and let everyone sign up for something they want to make. Letting bakers bake and those that want to do a cassarole do that.
    Old 11-11-2010, 04:17 AM
    Power Poster

I was going to say greenbean cassarole too, lol, its baked!
    Old 11-11-2010, 12:07 PM

I've been making cream of whatever-vegetable-I've-got soup lately. Cream of asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli, etc. Really yummy. If soup would work, I'll be happy to share the recipe I've come up with. When you get free food deliveries - you work with what you've got!
    Send me a pm if you want to know my secrets!
    Old 11-11-2010, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by cwessel47
    I've been making cream of whatever-vegetable-I've-got soup lately. Cream of asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli, etc. Really yummy. If soup would work, I'll be happy to share the recipe I've come up with. When you get free food deliveries - you work with what you've got!
    Send me a pm if you want to know my secrets!
    Or you could just share it with all of us. I like using what's avaliable. I like soup. I'd like to have your recipe!
    Old 11-11-2010, 02:03 PM

Herb Roasted Veggies: Start with the veggies you like. Potatoes, sweet potato, parsnips, carrots, onion. Cut them into bite size pieces. Drizzle with olive oil, and some herbs you like, garlic powder, onion powder, coriander, etc. and drizzle with good Olive Oil. Bake slowly, turning a couple times, to make sure oil is distributed and nobody is burnt. When it is done, and a little bit cooled off, add lots of chopped fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley. Now, it is officially green. ;0)
    Old 11-11-2010, 05:20 PM

Cream of Whatever-Vegetable-You've-Got Soup

3 Tbsp. Butter
    1 onion, chopped
    1 large garlic clove, thru a garlic press or minced
    1 lb. Whatever Vegetable (asparagus, broccoli, etc.)
    1 Cup Chicken Broth
    1 Cup Water
    salt and pepper
    1/2 Cup Cream Cheese (I like chive or veggie kinds)
    1/4 Cup milk or cream

Saute onion and garlic in butter. Cut up veggie of choice rather small and add with liquids, salt and pepper. Simmer till veggie is tender. Puree in a blender or food processor. Return to pot. Add cream cheese, whisk smooth. Add cream. Stir and serve. Can be done in larger amounts.

And enjoy!
    Cathy
    Old 11-11-2010, 05:35 PM
    Power Poster

Here's one I do a lot...and you can keep it in the fridge and reheat the next day.

Measures are metric...so convert if you need to:

Spinach and Rice (Spanakoryzo is the Greek name)

1 cup uncooked white rice
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    1/3 cup olive oil
    2 cups boiling water
    1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
    500g of fresh spinach (can use silverbeet (swiss chard))
    1 large saucepan with lid

Saute rice and onion in olive oil, stirring occasionally, for about 5 mins. Add boiling water and salt. Simmer, covered for 10 minutes.
    Wash spinach and cut into strips (I use scissors). Add to rice and mix thoroughly. Cover and simmer for 15 more minutes, stirring once in a while. Serves 4.

I have doubled the recipe with no problems...just adjust cooking time - If using silverbeet (swiss chard) don't use all of the stalk, just the mainly green bits.