Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Non-specific recipe amounts and directions - >
  • Non-specific recipe amounts and directions -

• Non-specific recipe amounts and directions -

Old 06-25-2024, 04:12 PM

Sounds like my Mother. a pinch of this , a dash of that.....
    Old 06-25-2024, 09:46 PM

I definitely prefer the recipes with weight measurements. My scale can measure both imperial and metric, so I'm not at all slowed by metric recipes.
    Old 06-26-2024, 04:59 AM

When I make up my salsa, tomato soups, tomato sauce, they're all made to taste. I'll take a recipe, see what the ingredients are the go from there. Same for my soups I make for the winter time. I just look at the ingredients and not so much the amounts and go from there. If it's a new recipe, I might go by the recipe but once made, the next time I might alter it a bit here, a bit there as long as it doesn't alter the taste completely.
    Old 06-26-2024, 05:18 AM
    Power Poster

If, for some reason, I had never been in a kitchen and did not know a refrigerator from a stove, or a can opener from a tongs, almost any recipe would be " a foreign language" to me.

Actually, I had to go to YouTube to remember how to use my Pampered Chef can opener!

And - by reading the Owner's manual for the range, I learned one should put the oven racks about four inches from the bottom to bake frozen pot pies so the bottom crust bakes properly. (On this range, anyway)
    Old 06-27-2024, 01:47 PM

I am chuckling as I see all these comments. I've been there on all the points. The good thing about the internet now is that you can Google a recipe name and find lots of people's versions. I look for one that has the ingredients that can be matched up and that have either weight or cup/tablespoon type measurements and start with that. I have notes all over my recipe books. I look at ingredients and lots of times will get to something that I know we don't like or eat. That gets omitted or changed out. It's just my new version. Happy Cooking to all!
    Old 06-28-2024, 11:17 AM

Default The shrinking problem

Originally Posted by Peckish
    How about the ones that say "one package of". We all know shrinkflation has happened. When I see recipes that call for a box of this or a package of that, I always wonder if I'm adding the correct amount.
    It's not just in the packaging. It's everything...Paper towels roles are smaller. McDonald's hamburgers are smaller (they deny this, but all of us who have noticed it can't be wrong!) plus you used to get tomatoes with in the hamburger. They have some excuse or another but you can get tomatoes...just that you have to pay for them now...etc....
    Old 06-28-2024, 01:03 PM

My favorite cake recipe of my mom's growing up was a "Prune Cake. It calls for a jar of baby food prunes. I can only guess at how many ounces that had. 4? 8? now jars are plastic containers.