Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   The best roast you will ever eat! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/best-roast-you-will-ever-eat-t297520.html)

mac 06-11-2018 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 8074663)
Although this sounds like it would make a melt in your mouth piece of meat...sitting in an oven for hours- doesn't that encourage bacterial growth that might be harmful? Don't know, just asking. I personally will " cook" some cuts of beef low and long, but not turning off oven and letting it sit in there til oven cools down....

One of the reviewers of the recipe gave an explanation as to why this does not encourage bacterial growth. It was inline with what I have always read about meat. A solid piece of meat, such as a roast will only have bacteria growth on the outside of the meat. Chopped up meat, such as hamburger, can have growth all over all of the cut pieces which is why it has to be cooked to a higher temperature to be considered safe.

The reviewer said that the 500 degree temperature is enough to kill all of the bacteria growth on the outside of the roast, as long as you don't make deep cuts into the meat. Some people like to poke holes in the roast and shove garlic and other herbs into a roast. This would be, in my opinion, a no-no. Making long slits into the roast could bring the bacteria on the outside of the roast into the inside of the roast where the heat may not kill the bacteria.

We all have to use our best judgment on what is safe cooking and what is not.

maviskw 06-12-2018 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 8074133)
I have been wanting to try this for a long time, but as I'm single, it seemed rather silly to do it just for me.
BUT, I've decided, because I LOVE beef in all it's forms, that I will try it as soon as a good cut of roast goes on sale at my Kroger. I will then section the cooked roast into freezable portions for use later as I have learned not to fret about previously frozen cooked meats.
Thanks for the reminder!

I have been doing this also, since I am now single, too. It started with the leftover food from the funeral. I had at least 10 containers with a full meal. Wonderful chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans and gravy. So nice to get that out of the freezer and heat it in the microwave or in a pot on the stove. It works best if I heat it for a minute or so, then let it set for a while so the heat spreads throughout, then heat for another minute or so.

Now I make big meals like I used to and put containers in the freezer. I now have at least 4 different kinds of meals in there. I cook when I feel like it and grab one of these when I don't.

Chasing Hawk 06-12-2018 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 8074631)
I don't have a roasting rack. would a cookie rack be all right. i have two black ones but not sure what the coating on it is like in oven. maybe not made for that...
I cooked one in the slow cooker and it was tough to me. still haven't made a nice juicy one.

Sure, Do you have a wire rack? Like one that you would use to cool baked items.

line the cookie sheet with foil. Then double up a piece of foil to form a pan to place the wire rack in. Then proceed with the coking process. All that foil might seem excessive but it sure beats scouring brunt on mess off the cookie sheet.

I roast a 5 to 6 lb roast for about 1 hr. 20 mins........we like our roast medium rare to rare. You have to take into account carryover heat after removing it from the oven, if using my recipe.

susiequilt 06-12-2018 08:20 AM

I did a prime rib this way last Christmas. It did come out very rare on the inside but since the leftovers were going to be heated after freezing I just reheated in the toaster oven on broil and it was perfect.

Meant to add that without the foil those brown bits make the most wonderful gravy or au gus. (sp) The pan came clean with only a little soaking.

Darcyshannon 06-20-2018 11:36 PM

I will have to try this in cooler weather. Right now it is too hot to think of a roast dinner