Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Does anyone have recipes for the Paleo Diet? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/does-anyone-have-recipes-paleo-diet-t137243.html)

Ellen 07-14-2011 07:02 AM

Sure sounds like a low carb diet ( Dr. Atkins) to me. I hate to admit it but I'm addicted to BREAD and going on a low carb diet is close to torture for me but I've done it and lost weight.

SparkMonkey 07-14-2011 08:44 AM

It's low-carb, yes, but quite different from Atkins. Atkins restricts all carbs, regardless of the source. Naturally-occurring fruit and vegetable sugars are fine on this diet. Atkins also ignores things like omega-3/omega-6 ratios, and as far as I'm aware there is no education whatsoever on things like healthy fats (not all oils are created equal) and the nutritional difference between naturally-raised meats and feedlot-raised meats.

Atkins was a good start in reducing the amount of carbs we eat, but there's been a boatload of research done since then and we're finding that it's a lot more complicated than "eat this, not that." All I know is that I feel really, really good eating this way, and I've continued to shed pounds steadily since the initial plummet (I could stand to lose another ten or so).

Most Paleo followers are also very much into exercise and physical fitness, which is another thing entirely. The whole foundation of the diet is based on the natural evolution of people, and the simple fact is that we were created to be on the move. It's not just a diet, it's an entire way of life.

Shoofly1 07-14-2011 10:28 AM

Surf this site. Reading the essays and blog on it give a rare insight of the paleo diet which you won't hear from the medical field, nutritionists, or government.

http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/

Thanks for the recipe info. The paleo diet has been an adventure of discovery for me for the past two years, and I have never been healthier.

blueangel 07-14-2011 02:37 PM

I will have to check it out.

iowabelle 07-14-2011 06:12 PM

I had been thinking about doing something like that, since I seem to feel bloated after eating things like pasta and potatoes.

I thought, maybe since I'm partially Native American, that I'd feel better eating a diet that emphasizes vegetables, meat, and fish. But I think under a paleo diet I'm even supposed to give up wild rice and corn. I think I could live without pasta, but potatoes, wild rice and corn (especially now that it's corn season in Iowa) is hard!

Jenni M 07-14-2011 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by iowabelle
I had been thinking about doing something like that, since I seem to feel bloated after eating things like pasta and potatoes.

I thought, maybe since I'm partially Native American, that I'd feel better eating a diet that emphasizes vegetables, meat, and fish. But I think under a paleo diet I'm even supposed to give up wild rice and corn. I think I could live without pasta, but potatoes, wild rice and corn (especially now that it's corn season in Iowa) is hard!

Even 85% is better that 0%. Or you might try the diet for 30 days and see how you feel???

iowabelle 07-14-2011 06:58 PM

Maybe after corn season! It's just starting to come in from the fields.

I remember having problems finding good vegetables and fruits to eat, in the colder months. I think maybe that's why Iowans eat so many carbs--it's hard to get full on the other stuff so much of the year, our produce looks so awful.

Shoofly1 07-14-2011 08:28 PM

SparkMonkey, That's a fantastic summary of the paleo diet!
I'll just add to buy wild caught fish instead of farmed fish which are fed grains.

be a quilter 07-15-2011 04:57 AM

[quote=SparkMonkey]

Originally Posted by Heather Hayllar
Hate to show my ignorance ................ but just what IS the Paleo diet please?

It's a diet that resembles the types of foods and carb-to-protein ratio that humans evolved with--the types of things we can digest and metabolize most efficiently. It excludes a lot of things that came about with the invention of agriculture which are a regular part of a modern diet. The idea is that agriculture has only been around for about 10,000 years, but humans have been around for millions--so we haven't had enough time in an evolutionary sense to really optimize the use of those foods.

That's quite a feat since the earth has been around for only approximately 6 to 7 thousand years.

Anna.425 07-17-2011 10:27 AM

Check you local library, that is where my daughter found the book.