Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   how do you take the 'music' from dry beans (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/how-do-you-take-music-dry-beans-t295676.html)

Suz 03-22-2018 06:44 AM

I, too, use the baking soda. When they cook up and foam, I pour the liquid off, rinse and add fresh water. I do this whether making bean soup or baked beans. Works for me.

However, I came across a recipe for "calico beans" and seem to gravitate to making them rather than from dried beans. So easy!

illinois 03-22-2018 06:53 AM

I use the quick method for preparing dry beans for bean soup and always cook them with about 3 stalks of celery. It's attractive, tasty and I think reduces the possible music. Have had no complaints anyhow!

Reminds me of a joke! This person was sitting at Starbucks when shy noticed there was an onslaught of "music" collecting. Oh, my! --what to do? Well, there was music playing so she chose to expel just a bit of gas with the beat of the music, thinking nobody would hear. Within a time, the person noticed those around her looking her way. Then she realized she had her earbuds in, listening to the music on her own phone!

P-BurgKay 03-22-2018 06:54 AM

I have used about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger, that's what my mother-in-law did

farmquilter 03-22-2018 07:28 AM

Sounds like adding baking soda will do the trick BUT can I add it to the flavored beans and cook them a bit more. Was planning to have them in my crock pot to cook/heat and take to church.

doricu2 03-22-2018 12:33 PM

Adding shredded carrot helps take out the gassiness and the carrot will never be tasted. Depending on amount of beans 1 or 2 carrots.

Jingle 03-22-2018 03:45 PM

I have always soaked my dry beans (any kind) in 1 teaspoon of baking soda. Soak all night, pour off water, add clean water and ham, cook until done.

Mousie 03-22-2018 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 (Post 8026363)
I don't have the problem, but I've read that adding baking soda as you cook them helps.

I've heard this and I've done this, to my dh's dismay, lol.
I guess it worked, but I do take a lot of meds for my tummy anyway.
I would say, "Do it."

madamekelly 03-22-2018 06:04 PM

I tried the baking soda in the beans, but could not stand the taste, so I just serve cornbread or corn muffins with beans. Same idea, but tastes much better to me. I pour chili beans right over the cornbread in a bowl. Soda crackers or soda bread would do the same for you.

My DDs tell people “You have to have cornbread with beans, I think it is a law.....”. Lol.
Several years ago the younger one called me in a panic. “Mom, what did I do wrong? I cooked the beans just like you said, and they tasted good, but now I have horrible gas, and I have to get to work! What do I do?” I asked her how much cornbread she ate, and she said “none, I was not in the mood for it.” I laughed and explained “the law of beans and soda”. I also told her if she dissolved about 1/4 t. Of baking soda in warm water and swallow it, the problem will be fixed. She did, and it did. Lol.

canmitch1971 03-22-2018 07:04 PM

I always take 3 Beano tabs before I eat beans.

zozee 03-22-2018 07:20 PM

Always good to know remedies for getting the boom outta the room!