Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   ISO: Wet Burrito Recipe (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/iso-wet-burrito-recipe-t180567.html)

azdesertrat 02-26-2012 09:17 AM

i have lived on the west coast or desert southwest almost my entire adult life and have never heard of a wet burrito!
From the recipe that someone posted,looks like we call an enchilada,and like someone said deep fry it and you have a chimichanga

wildyard 02-26-2012 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by azdesertrat (Post 5010073)
i have lived on the west coast or desert southwest almost my entire adult life and have never heard of a wet burrito!
From the recipe that someone posted,looks like we call an enchilada,and like someone said deep fry it and you have a chimichanga

To me an enchilada is baked in the oven in the sauce and a burrito is done on top of the stove or on a grill. Burritos are most often eaten dry in hand but are very special when served "wet" with a special yummy sauce. Enchiladas are rolled with the ends open and burritos are folded with the ends enclosed. It's all delicious!

nancia 02-26-2012 11:59 PM

my sister makes a mean wet burrito, but it's too late to call her, (3 a.m. here). i don't remember the recipe but i know how to make it. the sauce is chili based, maybe with picante, i'm not sure it's been too long since i've made it. but after 25 yrs in texas i have a nearly constant craving for tex-mex. can't wait to see your recipe!

mem 02-28-2012 10:24 AM

What's the name of the electric company? There are several people here from northern Michigan...I can check with them and see if, by chance, they might have the recipe.

ctack2 02-28-2012 11:23 AM

This is the link to the magazine recipe site. The recipe that I used was from 1987-89. Thats when we lived there.

http://www.countrylines.com/recipes/

Someone might even have a recipe in a regional cookbook from there.
Still looking.....................
Carol B

Handcraftsbyjen 03-11-2012 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by In the woods (Post 5006589)
Try googling "wet burritos". There are lots of recipes out there. I had never heard of them, but now I have something else to try. They sound really good. I used to vacation in the UP when I was a kid - back then the dish to have was "pasties" with a short "a". I don't think they even knew what a "burrito" was back then.

I'm originally from MI and I would LOVE a pastie right now! Yum! I may have to make some next week.

Phyllis nm 03-12-2012 12:16 PM

I live in New Mexico. Only here can I get or make mexican food.
The clear sauce, sounds like a green chili sauce.
There is a breakfast buttito. If it is deep fried it is a chimichanga.
I will try to write these down and post them for you. The chili you get will not be the same though.
Even in Texas, they have tex-mex,,,it is bad,bad,bad.

Phyllis nm 03-12-2012 08:37 PM

I don’t type! <o:p></o:p>
I tried to type it out here and it takes to long it will not post.<o:p></o:p>
I typed it in my outlook and tried to copy and paste it but it says I have to many images???<o:p></o:p>
No images!<o:p></o:p>
If someone smarter than me can post it, I will send it to you to post.<o:p></o:p>
Thanks I tried.<o:p></o:p>

ctack2 05-05-2012 11:26 AM

Here is a recipe from County Lines, the electric company site. It is not what I was looking for, but someone else might be interested in it. The ones I have had were individually made, not baked together as a casserole and the sauce on this one is not what I'm looking for, but I still haven't found the right sauce recipe. Still searching......woe is me....................

Pan Burritos
Ingredients
2-8 oz. cans enchilada sauce
12 oz. tomato sauce
1 t. garlic salt
2 lb. hamburger, browned and drained
1 lg. can refried beans
9 flour tortillas
4 c. mild cheddar cheese

Directions
Toppings:
Shredded lettuce
Diced tomatoes
sour cream

Combine enchilada sauce, tomato sauce and garlic salt. Combine 1/2 of this mixture with the hamburger. In a 9×13 inch baking dish, place a thin layer of the meat/sauce mixture. Layer ingredients as follows. 3 tortillas, 1/2 meat mixture, 1 cup cheddar cheese, 3 tortillas, refried beans, remaining meat mixture, 1 cup cheddar cheese, 3 tortillas, plain sauce and remaining cheese. Bake at 325° for 45 minutes. Let sit for 5-10 minutes before cutting into squares. Serve with fresh, shredded lettuce, tomatoes and sour cream on the side.

JanieW 05-05-2012 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by ctack2 (Post 5016390)
This is the link to the magazine recipe site. The recipe that I used was from 1987-89. Thats when we lived there.

http://www.countrylines.com/recipes/

Someone might even have a recipe in a regional cookbook from there.
Still looking.....................
Carol B

I have a recipe from someone in North Dakota. The sauce called for:

1 (15 ounce) can chili without beans
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce

Does that sound right?