Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Soup (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/soup-t302525.html)

quilterpurpledog 01-26-2019 03:43 AM

I make a lot of soup! I make at least one 12 quart pot of soup each week. I freeze it in quart size zip lock bags and freeze them flat on a cookie sheet so they will stack nicely in the freezer. I even make cream soups up to the point of adding the flour or corn starch and milk. I freeze that in smaller bags and add the thickener and milk when I serve it. We love soup as our meal. Lots of vegetables and not a lot of meat.

tranum 01-26-2019 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog (Post 8200042)
I make a lot of soup! I make at least one 12 quart pot of soup each week. I freeze it in quart size zip lock bags and freeze them flat on a cookie sheet so they will stack nicely in the freezer. I even make cream soups up to the point of adding the flour or corn starch and milk. I freeze that in smaller bags and add the thickener and milk when I serve it. We love soup as our meal. Lots of vegetables and not a lot of meat.

so nourishing for us too !

tranum 01-26-2019 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH (Post 8199881)
tranum, I love barley and cabbage in soup! I'll be right over :D

I’ll set another place !

SusieQOH 01-26-2019 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by tranum (Post 8200050)
I’ll set another place !

It's a date! :D

Moira in N.E. England 01-26-2019 07:19 AM

I love making and eating soup!

I will often make some from the vegetables that are past their best and often wonder why shrivelled carrots, curly celery etc make the tastiest soups - oh and don’t forget a broccoli stem. A little ginger grated in can add a bit of interest too.

luvstoquilt 01-26-2019 08:25 AM

I have soup cooking all winter. Today it is chicken. I especially love bean soups. They are so good when it is this cold and snow covered outside.

Snooze2978 01-26-2019 08:46 AM

I tend to eat soups mostly during the winter months. I make a big pot of the soups I like the most such as glorified potato soup, chili, chicken & noodles and squash soup. I make a gallon of each and put them in 1/2 gallon freezer containers and stack them up in the freezer till I need one. In fact, need to pull one out today as I just finished up some glorified potato soup. In my soups I try to use everything I can from the garden. In my chili I use my home-made salsa for the tomato part.......yes, its spicey but its usually just me eating it and boy is it good. I also found out that using ground pork instead of ground beef is good too and cheaper with beef prices as they are.

trolleystation 01-26-2019 09:46 AM

Today is beef stew day. The weather outside is frightful and the stew is sooooo delightful.

Snooze2978 01-27-2019 05:05 AM

Haven't heard oxtail soup in years and back then it was a cheap piece of meat too. Same goes for liver, it was cheap but not anymore.

meanmom 01-27-2019 06:28 AM

I make a lot of soup in the winter. The shrimp soup sounds delicious. We were just talking about soup the other day. I used to make peasant soup when the kids were home. They liked to call it garbage soup and loved it. I would keep a zip lock bag in the freezer and dump leftovers in it. Just a little bit of everything, even lettuce salad. When there was enough in the bag I would dump it in a pot and add either chicken or beef broth. Best soup ever. I haven't made it in years.