Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Yummy "cool" cake (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/yummy-%22cool%22-cake-t58254.html)

paintmejudy 08-11-2010 04:24 PM

I've used this frosting recipe for about 25 years or more - on Angel food cake. Yummy. But I am definately going to try your cake.

sewmuchmore 08-11-2010 05:41 PM

I am always looking for some good to take to church. Thanks I have bookmarked it.

zennia 08-14-2010 05:30 PM

sounds good. I am going to try this for our next family picnic.

May in Jersey 08-14-2010 08:51 PM

I love this cake. I haven't made it in a long time so I'm going to make it this week. It's such a 'guilt free' cake and delicious too. May in Jersey

PS: I also use the sugar free pudding and, if I can find it, the sugar free Cool Whip.

Dee Dee 08-16-2010 03:48 PM

I made this cake, but I have a major problem with it ... I can't stop eating it!!!!

Originally Posted by Kellie G
Mandarin Orange/Pineapple Cake
1 yellow cake mix
1 can (11oz) mandarin oranges (undrained)
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (I use a lunch sized container)
4 eggs (whites only)
1 container Cool Whip (8 oz)
1 can crushed pineapple (20 oz)(undrained)
1 pkg instant vanilla pudding mix (4 serving size)(I use sugar free)

In a large bowl combine cake mix, mandarin oranges -with juice, applesauce and egg whites. Mix until thoroughly combined. Pour into a 13 x 9 pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Let cool completely.

Frosting:
In medium size bowl mix completely pineapple (undrained) and dry pudding mix. Fold in container of whipped topping. Spread on cooled cake. Leave in refrigerator for at least one hour before serving.....Store in refrigerator...

This cake is awesome on a hot day, or anytime really. It is never around long at my house. I always get asked for the recipe.
If you use fat free whipped topping, this dessert is virtually fat free. No oil in cake and no egg yolks. Don't tell people it is fat free and they won't even know it!!!!!!

sewgull 08-16-2010 06:15 PM

Any reason you just use the egg whites? Do you whip the the whites for add to mix with beating?
Ready to try this cake.

sewgull 08-16-2010 06:16 PM

Any reason you just use the egg whites? Do you whip the the whites for add to mix with beating?
Ready to try this cake.

Kellie G 08-17-2010 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by sewgull
Ready to try this cake.

The only reason you just use whites is if you use the yolks that adds fat to the cake. I just seperate my eggs, toss out the yolks, and add the whites right in. I actually just put all the cake ingredients into the bowl and use a mixer for 1-2 minutes till it is all combined. Also makes for a fast cake.

Dorrie 08-30-2010 04:57 PM

Hi, I make this cake often and is always met w/ another slice"

Thanks.
Dorrie

blueangel 10-04-2011 12:52 PM

Thank you