Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Question on making rhubarb jam >
  • Question on making rhubarb jam

• Question on making rhubarb jam

Old 05-22-2015, 01:02 PM

Loved Wildernessties recipe but I wonder how many stalks would be in 2 1/2 pounds of fresh rhubarb? I don't have a food scale and wouldn't want to mess up the recipe and I'm planning on making some tomorrow.
    Old 05-22-2015, 02:08 PM

You lucky gals who have rhubarb!!!! We sold our house last fall and moved to a condo --drove by the house last week and all the rhubarb is unused and gone to seed--made me sick. I made recipe for jam this way-- 15 cups cut up rhubarb, 3 cups Splenda (sugar substitute), 3 cups sugar--cook over med heat til softened--add 3 small pkgs of strawberry or raspberry sugar free jello and stir to dissolve. Let cool and put into any containers and freeze. This is a little more tart but extremely tasty on toast or warmed to put over shortcake or ice cream.
    Also make rhubarb surprise pie--fill unbaked crust with cut up rhubarb. sprinkle 1/4 cup sugar or Splenda over top-then sprinkle small package of Strawberry or Raspberry jello over all. Mix 1/2 C sugar, 1/2 cup flour, pinch of salt, and 1/4 cup soft butter til crumbly and put on top of filling. Bake at 350 for 45-55 min. Will be very juicy so place a drip pan on shelf below pie to catch any spill-overs. I also use sugar free jello for this pie.
    Old 05-23-2015, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Roberta
    Loved Wildernessties recipe but I wonder how many stalks would be in 2 1/2 pounds of fresh rhubarb? I don't have a food scale and wouldn't want to mess up the recipe and I'm planning on making some tomorrow.
    You can't go by number of stalks, because stalks come in various thicknesses and various lengths. I hope someone can tell you the number of cups (or quarts would be easier to measure) you need.