Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Recipe for Bread Machine >
  • Recipe for Bread Machine

• Recipe for Bread Machine

Old 09-26-2011, 04:35 AM

Would like to use my bread machine more often. Looking for your favorite recipe of mixture of whole wheat and white flour.
    Old 09-26-2011, 04:52 AM

My favorite recipe ever is from Il Fornaio (restaurant in CA) and is an easy Italian bread. I have changed the way I make it through the years. It calls for a starter dough that keeps for 2 weeks in the fridge. I stopped using that and just use some of my sourdough starter for the extra "oomph".

3 1/2 c flour ( I do 1/2 white & 1/2 wheat)
    1 t yeast
    1 t salt
    1/2 c starter
    1+ c water

I put the 1 c water in the machine 1st and add around 1/2 c as it mixes depending on humidity, amount of sourdough starter and how slack I want the dough.

I usually remove dough, shape and bake in the oven.
    Old 09-27-2011, 09:01 AM

Did you go to the web sites for Fleischmann's or Red Star Yeast? They have loads of recipes for all types of breads and they have all been tested for bread machines. You might also try searching at the site for your bread machine by the maker's name. I bought a used machine at a church rummage sale & was able to get a copy of the instruction booklet to download & print. Each machine has its own little nuances, so that might be a great place to start, especially if you don't have the machine instruction & recipe booklets. I use both my machines, at home & at the cottage, all the time. I've gotten so, I don't like buying bread from the store at all! Good baking! Sybil
    Old 09-27-2011, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by scisyb220
    Did you go to the web sites for Fleischmann's or Red Star Yeast? They have loads of recipes for all types of breads and they have all been tested for bread machines. You might also try searching at the site for your bread machine by the maker's name. I bought a used machine at a church rummage sale & was able to get a copy of the instruction booklet to download & print. Each machine has its own little nuances, so that might be a great place to start, especially if you don't have the machine instruction & recipe booklets. I use both my machines, at home & at the cottage, all the time. I've gotten so, I don't like buying bread from the store at all! Good baking! Sybil
    Thanks, I have a bread machine that is just gathering dust. I knead to use mine more as well.
    Old 09-27-2011, 11:33 AM

I have a great recipe from my bread machine book called "Triple Wheat". I'll try to post it when I get home tonight.
    Old 09-30-2011, 07:24 AM

Here's the one I use - I am doing this from memory...

1 cup water
    2 TBSP canola oil
    1 or 2 TBSP honey
    3/4 tsp salt
    1.5 cups whole wheat flour
    1.5 cups all purpose flour
    3 tsp. vital wheat gluten
    2.5 tsp yeast

You need to know if your bread maker wants liquids in the pan first or last. Mine wants liquids in first. I actually use the above ingredients/quantities as guidelines. Sometimes i use more whole wheat than all purpose flour, or I add some oat bran for some of the whole wheat. I love my bread maker - we use it about once a week.