Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Recipes for Using Canned Sardines >
  • Recipes for Using Canned Sardines

• Recipes for Using Canned Sardines

Old 07-04-2024, 04:46 AM

Default Recipes for Using Canned Sardines

Good morning! I'm on the hunt for good, healthy recipes that use canned sardines. When I was a kid, my mom (a Norwegian) used to eat them right out of the can, usually with a cracker. I wouldn't touch it! Now, I like sardines a lot more and need to find some yummy ways to use them. They're cheap, super nutritious and a "safe catch." Got any good recipes?
    Old 07-04-2024, 05:07 PM

I don't have any ideas, but sardines around here are canned, with a tomato sauce base....
    I'd love some ideas too!
    Old 07-04-2024, 06:17 PM
    Power Poster

My favourite Sardines are Brunswick Golden Smoked. I don’t know if they are available where you are but they are delicious. I only eat them in a toasted sandwich, nothing to take away from their flavour.
    Old 07-05-2024, 12:56 PM
    Power Poster

Growing up we had tin fish a lot. sardines, herring, and mackerel. It was a good weekly food to stretch the food budget. I preferred herring in the tins but did eat a lot of sardines. Mackerel was used to make fish patties. We never had a recipe for sardines, just ate them out of the tin with crackers, pickles, tomatoes, or toast. We were told we needed the fish oils so eat it. I started giving my kids bites of herring and sardines when they were toddlers. They didn't take but a bite of it when small but as they grew they developed a taste for it, maybe not eat them often but won't turn their noses up at it either.
    Old 07-06-2024, 06:40 AM

I don't know, it is hard to beat sardines on a cracker. Just the best. I used to go wild raspberry picking with my brother. Sardines and crackers were always on the menu. Maybe some chips and fruit too.
    oh, and as there were smokehouses around that lake, we also would sometimes stop and pick up smoked herring or whitefish to add to our picnic lunch. We seldom stopped at a restaurant.
    Old 07-06-2024, 09:54 AM

We love sardine pasta and the one we use is sardines and lemon zest and juice. There are variations if you do a search.
    Also we use rice noodles mostly instead of pasta noodles as rice noodles have no flavor so the topping is more flavorful.

Also like to eat sardines on toasted naan wedges with a thin layer of chevre or cream cheese along with fresh tomato and avocado.
    Frequently lunch : )
    Old 07-07-2024, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by cfuzzy
    We love sardine pasta and the one we use is sardines and lemon zest and juice. There are variations if you do a search.
    Also we use rice noodles mostly instead of pasta noodles as rice noodles have no flavor so the topping is more flavorful.

Also like to eat sardines on toasted naan wedges with a thin layer of chevre or cream cheese along with fresh tomato and avocado.
    Frequently lunch : )
    A gourmet after my own heart. That last idea sounds delicious! The pasta does too...maybe using soba noodles?
    Old 07-07-2024, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by tropit
    A gourmet after my own heart. That last idea sounds delicious! The pasta does too...maybe using soba noodles?
    Humm,soba noodles. I'm thinking they are more substantial and flavorful than pasta or Thai rice noodles?
    We just had the sardines with rice noodles last night. From breaking up and heating the sardines to coat the noodles, they kind of melt and the taste is light with a hint of lemon and capers. Give the soba noodles a try and let me know what you think.

Are you gluten free?
    Old 07-08-2024, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by cfuzzy
    Humm,soba noodles. I'm thinking they are more substantial and flavorful than pasta or Thai rice noodles?
    We just had the sardines with rice noodles last night. From breaking up and heating the sardines to coat the noodles, they kind of melt and the taste is light with a hint of lemon and capers. Give the soba noodles a try and let me know what you think.

Are you gluten free?
    Will do. No, we're not gluten free. I just like soba noodles. I also frequently make buckwheat pancakes. They have an nice nutty, earthy taste.

Capers are a must with the sardines.
    Old 07-08-2024, 07:40 AM

Love buckwheat! Funny that grain is named buckwheat when it's not wheat. Use some buckwheat in waffles and just saw
    a recipe for a chocolate buckwheat cake want to try.