Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Side dishes >
  • Side dishes

• Side dishes

Old 06-03-2024, 05:05 PM

Default Side dishes

DH is pretty good about cooking the meat but I’m in charge of side dishes. )-:
    I dug through the recipe file and made 2 vegetable salads - not much left
    Calico beans and fruit salad are coming up next.
    Need inspiration. . . .
    Old 06-03-2024, 06:07 PM
    Power Poster

Green Beans, spinach, broccoli, squash, pasta, potatoes, grilled fruit, anything that is not meat is what I consider a side.
    Old 06-03-2024, 07:06 PM

Broccoli slaw. I buy shredded broccoli 'tree trunks' with some shredded red cabbage in it. Then I chop up an apple and raisons, add them to the slaw, mix it all up with some Miracle Whip. Love it! I guess you could use mayo instead of Miracle Whip, but I don't care for mayo.
    Old 06-03-2024, 07:27 PM

The most requested side by family, friends and guests at my house is always scalloped corn, no matter what the season. In summer, it is followed by potatoes, carrots, onion and corn cooked in a foil pouch on the grill. No one will ever complain if mac and cheese is on the menu either. Not fancy, just basic comfort food. I don't care for fresh sliced cucumbers, but I love a dish of cucumber refrigerator pickles.
    Old 06-03-2024, 09:57 PM

I consider this a “side” because it is all that is needed along with some maple curried chicken thighs. It was our dinner, and we will enjoy it for a few more meals. I buy the frozen mango chunks for it.
    https://yumyummer.com/california-quinoa-salad/
    Old 06-04-2024, 03:59 AM

My favorite side is frozen sliced yellow squash roasted in 400 degree oven 30-40 minutes. Sprinkled with spices and drizzled with olive oil. I usually have to double it!! (I don't salt until ready to serve)

Do the same thing to sliced cabbage, about 1/2 inch thick.

Old 06-04-2024, 04:40 AM

roasted veggies such as onions, carrots, parsnips, red peppers , squash, tomatoes. Then there is always my favorite, asparagus wrapped in bacon and broiled.
    Old 06-04-2024, 04:51 AM
    Power Poster

I use the air fryer for roasting /broiling vegetables if not using the grill.
    Old 06-04-2024, 04:52 AM

DH really likes broccoli salad. I don't like raw broccoli so I pour boiling water over the small broccoli pieces and let sit for 45 seconds before rinsing in cold water and draining. Then add chopped sweet onion, dried cranberries, a couple of hand fulls of roasted salted hulled sunflower seeds and dressing. If I'm feeling 'rich', I'll add shredded sharp cheese and bacon bits. I think you could do the same to the commercial packaged broccoli slaw.

I also make a savory sweet potato casserole. Microwave the sweet potatoes until soft, cool, peel and mash. Chop some onion and garlic and saute (I put them in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and microwave for a minute. Add, along with a good dollup of sour cream and salt and pepper. Mix well, put into a greased casserole, top with buttered bread crumbs (I often use left over smashed croutons) and bake for about 45 minutes. Really good with any kind of pork.
    Old 06-04-2024, 06:03 AM
    Power Poster

I would first need to know where you were planning to be. Hot side dishes would need a power source to stay hot. Cold dishes would need to be kept cold unless they were room temperature stable. If it is going to be a picnic, I usually do a 5 bean salad with oil and vinegar dressing that will not go bad without refrigeration.