Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Super easy peeling of hard boiled eggs >
  • Super easy peeling of hard boiled eggs

• Super easy peeling of hard boiled eggs

Old 07-01-2016, 04:46 AM
    Power Poster

Another way that works is after the egg cools cut it in half lengthwise like you are making deviled eggs. Amazing how the egg pops right out of the shell.
    Old 07-01-2016, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by SewingSew
    Maviskw, If the egg has aged enough that it is floating to the top of the water, (barring an apocolypse or poverty) I wouldn't be inclined to use it. It comes down to a matter of personal preference. Yes, it's possible the egg is still good, just like it's possible that an egg that doesn't float will still be bad, which I would be able to identify once I break it open.

I forgot to mention that the eggs that stand up in the water are great for boiling because the shells peel off more nicely.
    In Home-Ec class we were taught to ALWAYS break your eggs into a dish before adding them to anything. You never really know what is in those shells until you break them. I found one that was green.

That egg that stands up in the water does so because it is old. It has accumulated enough of the gas to make it stand up but not quite enough to bring it to the top of the water. An old egg will always peel easier because of that gas.
    Old 07-02-2016, 10:30 AM
    Power Poster

I have an egg cooker someone gave me as a gift. I have never had an egg uneasy to peel. Perfect every time.
    Old 07-04-2016, 11:34 AM
    mac

You know, I can't remember where my hard boil egg cooker is. Haven't seen it for years. It was so easy, you just put it in with the eggs and it would tell you at what point the eggs were soft boiled and hard boiled. It used to work great. I'll have to give it some thought as to where it might be. Can't say that I have seen them marketed anymore.

Regarding the bottle/water/peeling the egg thing: I just tried that and it worked great.

I usually pour the boiling water off and then add cold water from the faucet and as I am cooling the eggs, I shake the pot to crack the eggs. If I am in a big hurry and can't peel the eggs immediately, I add ice cubes to the bowl of water/eggs and put it in the fridge. Works like a charm. But, the egg in the bottle/water trick was really cool and peeled all the eggs in just minutes.

Thanks for the tip.
    Old 07-05-2016, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by mjhaess
    I have an egg cooker someone gave me as a gift. I have never had an egg uneasy to peel. Perfect every time.
    Same here. I'm not a gadget girl, but I really love this egg cooker. It puts a pinhole in the bottom of the standing up egg so the steam gets under the shell.
    Old 07-09-2016, 02:06 PM

Steam 20 minutes for perfect hard boiled eggs....shells practically fall off when you peel them
    Old 07-09-2016, 07:00 PM

Good to know JustAbit. I'll give that a shot.
    Old 07-16-2016, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltBoy
    Steam 20 minutes for perfect hard boiled eggs....shells practically fall off when you peel them
    I steam eggs and they almost always peel easily. We have our own laying hens so our eggs are always fresh. I don't have the organizational skills to keep track of how old they are or to keep the older ones around long enough for them to be "aged" or whatever is always recommended for boiling.
    Old 07-20-2016, 05:27 PM

Questions: When steaming eggs in a rice cooker do you cook them for 20 - 25 minutes or stop when the cooker automatically clicks over to warm? Does the time change if you use eggs at room temp. or out of the refrigerator? I looked online and get conflicting stories. Anybody here use their Aroma rice cooker for steaming eggs? (Don't have an egg cooker and have always boiled them. I love my rice cooker and hope this will make good "boiled/steamed" eggs as well as it cooks other foods.)

Last edited by Just Jan; 07-20-2016 at 05:30 PM.
    Old 07-20-2016, 07:16 PM

I've never steamed an egg, being japanese never thought of using my rice cooker,may have to try this!!!