Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Super easy peeling of hard boiled eggs >
  • Super easy peeling of hard boiled eggs

• Super easy peeling of hard boiled eggs

Old 07-21-2016, 06:50 AM
    mac

I just tried steaming my eggs in a vegetable steamer (the silver kind that collapses) and the egg shells just slipped right off of the egg. Amazing.

I only steamed them for 15 minutes and I didn't have time to put cold water in the pot or rinse them or anything. I just turned off the pot and walked away. They did have the grey around the yolk, but who cares, I've been eating the grey on the yolk for 65 years and nothing has happened. When I am rushed 'beautiful looking food' takes a back seat.
    Old 07-21-2016, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Just Jan
    Questions: When steaming eggs in a rice cooker do you cook them for 20 - 25 minutes or stop when the cooker automatically clicks over to warm? Does the time change if you use eggs at room temp. or out of the refrigerator? I looked online and get conflicting stories. Anybody here use their Aroma rice cooker for steaming eggs? (Don't have an egg cooker and have always boiled them. I love my rice cooker and hope this will make good "boiled/steamed" eggs as well as it cooks other foods.)
    Well I tried the rice cooker but it kept cooking about 25 minutes until I manually shut it off. The result was easy to peel eggs with gray on them. Obviously they required lots less cooking time, but otherwise the rice cooker worked fine and the eggs taste good. However, being an appliance addict, I went on Ebay and found many egg cookers starting as low as $16 so I purchased one. Right now I'm eating 'steamed' eggs but plan to pickle some soon. Yum.
    Old 07-21-2016, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by mac
    I just tried steaming my eggs in a vegetable steamer (the silver kind that collapses) and the egg shells just slipped right off of the egg. Amazing.

I only steamed them for 15 minutes and I didn't have time to put cold water in the pot or rinse them or anything. I just turned off the pot and walked away. They did have the grey around the yolk, but who cares, I've been eating the grey on the yolk for 65 years and nothing has happened. When I am rushed 'beautiful looking food' takes a back seat.
    The reason they turn gray is overcooking. You could try cooking them for 12 minutes, but my best guess is the problem was not being put in cold water so they actually kept on cooking.