Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Tasteless Vegetable Soup >
  • Tasteless Vegetable Soup

• Tasteless Vegetable Soup

Old 12-01-2008, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by auntluc
    I made a pot of soup yesterday....my internet service was out until this morning so after I posted asking for suggestions to spice up the flavor of soup, I couldn't get on the forum to get your responses but thank you for your suggestions.
    Anyway, I started with some leftover beef roast that had been roasted in soy sauce and worchestershire sauce...added frozen mixed vegetables, some frozen lima beans and peas to finish up the packages that were opened. I cut up some onions, potatoes, cabbage and added home canned tomatoes, kidney beans, lots of beef broth, 3 cubes of beef boulion and topped the pot off with V8 juice.
    I threw in a couple of bay leaves, italian seasoning, celery seed, tyme, oregano, basil leaves, onion salt, chilli powder and black pepper. My DH said it was good...but you know what I could taste? Only the kidney beans. :shock: I need a taste bud transplant.
    Your soup sounds wonderful! Wonder why you could only taste the beans???? Maybe small Navy beans next time would be good?
    Old 12-01-2008, 09:57 AM
    Administrator

are you sure it's your tastebuds? do you have a cold? developed any recent sinus problems? without a good sense of smell, taste is the next sense to go.

just wondering.
    Old 12-01-2008, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by beetle
    My veg soup recipe calls for Italian Seasoning. It's not a hot spicy just a flavorful spicey.
    That would be my suggestion too. Add a little bit from a packet of Italian dressing mix to the hot soup and cook it in, then taste it. Keep adding dressing mix until it makes you smile.
    Old 12-05-2008, 06:53 AM

This will sound strange, but try a drop or two or sesame oil. Its strong, so add it by single drops. It adds a very nice flavor. It seems to draw out other flavors, too.
    Old 12-05-2008, 04:27 PM
    Power Poster

The first thought in my head was Mrs. Dash.
    Old 12-05-2008, 04:32 PM
    Power Poster

I always use Rotel tomatoes in mine. I also use a bottle of Franks' Red Hot sauce on the table. The sauce isn't hot...it is just flavorful. We just finished a pot of soup...it was so good, I think we'll make another this week..its cold here.
    Old 12-05-2008, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
    I always use Rotel tomatoes in mine. I also use a bottle of Franks' Red Hot sauce on the table. The sauce isn't hot...it is just flavorful. We just finished a pot of soup...it was so good, I think we'll make another this week..its cold here.
    We just finished a pot of soup, too. Ours was turkey veggy soup which was soooooo yummy. I like to use Rotel tomatoes, too but not all our family likes the "heat/spicy" taste of the chili's. My DH is a pepper belly and loves all that spice, heat and garlic . I like it too, but not quite as much as he does. The Red Hot Sauce MUST be a little bit hot. We tried something from a company called Bullards Garlic hot sauce that is delicious but I've never been able to find it after the first bottle I bought. It's made in Louisiana. Anybody know anything about this sauce? It's very, very good in veggy soup and on tacos.
    Old 12-10-2008, 07:35 PM

I wanted to update you on why I couldn't taste the soup....ended up getting a cold, sinus drainage caused a sore throat and my lower front teeth were abcessed. I still can't figure out why I could taste the kidney beans in the soup....my DH said kidney beans don't have much taste. Thanks for all the tips for adding flavor to the next pot of veggie soup I make.
    Old 12-11-2008, 05:02 AM
    Power Poster

EWWWWW....well, I was kinda hoping that you just weren't using enough spices :shock: What a fine mess you've gotten yourself into, huh. I really do hope you get all recovered and feel much better soon. Abcessed teeth??? OUuch!!! I'm thinking you do need some soup..but maybe not so many chunky veggies. Let us know how you are doing and have your DH take good care of you.
    Old 12-11-2008, 06:37 AM

Auntluc:
    Wow! Absessed teeth are a killer! I had ONE horrible bad tooth one time and I thought I'd go crazy from pain before I got to the dentist. Take care and I hope you are feeling better soon. I can tell you, as soon as they take the nerve out of the tooth (root canal) pain relief is instantaneous.

Take care