Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Too Many Tomatoes/Cucumbers >
  • Too Many Tomatoes/Cucumbers

• Too Many Tomatoes/Cucumbers

Old 07-22-2012, 09:04 AM

Default Too Many Tomatoes/Cucumbers

We grow tomatoes and cucumbers and at some point usually have more than we can eat or give away. I can but do not have a pressure canner yet. I prefer fresh salsa, so not sure if I want to start trying out recipes for canning that yet. What do you do with extra tomatoes and cucumbers?
    Old 07-22-2012, 09:09 AM
    tmw

i would love to live near you. for some tomatoes and cucumbers. its so hard to grow things here, have lots of salads, ,and tomatoe sandwichs, [with miracle whip and maybe a slice of cheese].
    Old 07-22-2012, 09:12 AM

I love my neighbor. He shares his tomatos, cucumbers, zuchinni, eggplant, etc. with me. I have pleanty of veggies to eat.
    Old 07-22-2012, 10:13 AM

We love tomatoes & cucumbers. Here is a recipe that works great for both. Unfortunately I don't have measurements but we just go by the taste. Slice & lay out on a dish. Dice a vidalia onion & sprinkle liberally. Start with a 1/2 cup of oil, (we use canola) & start adding red wine vinegar. I would suggest 2 tablespoons to start. Depending on your tastes, you can keep adding the vinegar. We also add just a little bit of sugar to this mixture. Drizzle over tomatoes/cucumbers. You want to cover them in the oil mixture. We then sprinkle parsley or basil over top & refrigerate for about 15 min.

Hope this helps you out!
    Sue
    Old 07-22-2012, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by SueJ
    We love tomatoes & cucumbers. Here is a recipe that works great for both. Unfortunately I don't have measurements but we just go by the taste. Slice & lay out on a dish. Dice a vidalia onion & sprinkle liberally. Start with a 1/2 cup of oil, (we use canola) & start adding red wine vinegar. I would suggest 2 tablespoons to start. Depending on your tastes, you can keep adding the vinegar. We also add just a little bit of sugar to this mixture. Drizzle over tomatoes/cucumbers. You want to cover them in the oil mixture. We then sprinkle parsley or basil over top & refrigerate for about 15 min.

Hope this helps you out!
    Sue
    Oh, sounds good. I'll fix that tonight!

I have a creamed cucumbers recipe (I think I got on this site) that is really good, too.
    Old 07-22-2012, 03:53 PM

Is it salt that you liberally sprinkle on them? You left out what to sprinkle.
    Old 07-22-2012, 04:54 PM
    Power Poster

When I get a surplus of tomatoes, I put them into freezer bags and freeze them solid for stewed tomatoes in the winter. When you want to use them, I put a pot of hot water to boil on the stove. I put the frozen tomato into the boiling water for about 5-10 seconds. I pick it out with my tongs and run the tomato under the tap and the skin peels right off. I do all the skins off the tomatoes and then dump out the water. I wait for the tomatoes to thaw a bit and core and cut them up and put them in the pot to cook.
    Old 07-23-2012, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    When I get a surplus of tomatoes, I put them into freezer bags and freeze them solid for stewed tomatoes in the winter. When you want to use them, I put a pot of hot water to boil on the stove. I put the frozen tomato into the boiling water for about 5-10 seconds. I pick it out with my tongs and run the tomato under the tap and the skin peels right off. I do all the skins off the tomatoes and then dump out the water. I wait for the tomatoes to thaw a bit and core and cut them up and put them in the pot to cook.
    How long can you keep tomatoes in the freezer?
    Old 07-23-2012, 05:21 AM

We love this recipe.
    Parmesan Tomatoes
    4 ripe tomatoes
    4 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
    4 Tablespoons parmesan
    1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
    1 teas. dried basil
    1 teas. fresh parsley
    1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
    Pre heat oven to 350. Put tomatoes on baking pan. Mix all ingredients except parsley and mozzarella. Put mix on tomateos and top with mozzarella and parsley mixed together. Bake 15 minutes or until golden brown.
    Old 07-23-2012, 05:40 AM

wish I lived closer to you as I can tomatoes and also make and can my own tomatoe soup have also made catsup