Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Wanted Recipes! >
  • Wanted Recipes!

• Wanted Recipes!

Old 08-09-2010, 05:47 PM

Aully,

My daughter has a life-threatening allergy to eggs, and you'd be surprised how many thing have eggs in them (even regular soup broth/boullion). (They "tried" to give her the flu shot in the allergist's office -- they injected a drop of it under her skin and she passed out and was near unconscious for 1-2 days.)

There's a cook book called "What's for dinner" and subtitled the allergy free cookbook (no nuts, milk, eggs, soy...). I don't think it specifically mentions gluten/lactose, but if there is anything specific you're looking for please let me know and I'll look it up for you.

I know how much these allergies can totally change a lifestyle. I'm petrified to have my daughter eat restaurant food -- even if you ask a bazillion questions, you have to trust that the restaurant staff knows what they're talking about -- and I don't trust them with my child! The preschool is great for her, but otherwise we pack food from home EVERYWHERE we go. I'm not quite sure how to get her diet less restricted without learning to trust people...But I'm not sure I can do that.

Feel free to PM me if you want to.
    Old 09-07-2010, 09:15 AM

She can't have gluten, sugar or dairy products. The sugar part is hard because gluten free recipies use a lot of sugars. Even natural sugars are limitied even with fruits, she mainly only is allowed pairs for fruit and berries (strawberries, blueberries, rasberries, blackberries) she can have all veggies.

We are still very much struguling with recipies for her. More ideas would be a great HELP! Thanks!
    Old 09-07-2010, 09:39 AM

God bless you!! I find it difficult just doing gluten-free,dairy free,artificial flavorings and colors. You are absolutely right in your statement about sugars. Whew!
    Old 09-07-2010, 11:28 AM

that sounds better! none of the above......
    Old 09-07-2010, 03:06 PM

You say no sugar, can you use honey? I make a granola that hits everything but sugar. I know that instead of using the brown sugar the honey amount could be increased, if that is allowed. I snack on this--without milk.
    Old 09-08-2010, 05:21 PM

If she can have nuts, here is a good snack, that she should enjoy making.
    From a fresh coconut, drain the milk (poke 2-3 of the eyes and put over a cup. When it is drained, wrap the coconut in a bath towel, and outside on the concrete give it a couple of wacks with a hammer.
    The coconut should be cracked open.

Take the coconut inside and put it in the fridge for a day.
    The next day the meat should peal out easily.

Once you have taken the meat out of the coconut, peal off the harder dark outside. Now you should have all white coconut. With a pealer peal into long strips (like pealing a carrot) Put the coconut strips on a cookie sheet and toast in the oven. When the coconut is golden take out and sprinkle with salt.

It just doesn't get better than this!
    Old 09-22-2010, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Pepita
    You say no sugar, can you use honey? I make a granola that hits everything but sugar. I know that instead of using the brown sugar the honey amount could be increased, if that is allowed. I snack on this--without milk.
    She has to have a special made honey same with peanut butter.
    Old 09-22-2010, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Pepita
    If she can have nuts, here is a good snack, that she should enjoy making.
    From a fresh coconut, drain the milk (poke 2-3 of the eyes and put over a cup. When it is drained, wrap the coconut in a bath towel, and outside on the concrete give it a couple of wacks with a hammer.
    The coconut should be cracked open.

Take the coconut inside and put it in the fridge for a day.
    The next day the meat should peal out easily.

Once you have taken the meat out of the coconut, peal off the harder dark outside. Now you should have all white coconut. With a pealer peal into long strips (like pealing a carrot) Put the coconut strips on a cookie sheet and toast in the oven. When the coconut is golden take out and sprinkle with salt.

It just doesn't get better than this!
    She can't have coconut. :( sounds yummy though.
    Old 09-22-2010, 08:06 PM

I can see your delimma. No sugar, no nuts, no milk, no wheat--I may have missed some, but this is a serious allergy. What will happen when she goes to school?

Can she have corn? Pop corn? I know you can make milk from Soy beans, as well as other soy products.

The granola I make, I put 4-5 Cups of oatmeal in a big bowl, I add corn flakes, or bran flakes, or grape nuts, any cereal that she can eat--if there are any, about 3 cups of that, then I add sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds the amount varies as to how much I have on hand-or if I have it on hand. I'd guess I usually add 1 cup of almonds, and maybe a 1/4 cup of the seeds combined. I also add about 1/4 C. soy flour, and powdered milk, same amount. (All this does is add protien)

Separately I mix 1/2 C. corn oil (or what ever oil she can have-I have found canola has a flavor I don't like so I wouldn't reccomend it in this) and 1/2 C. honey. Spices can be added as vanilla or other flavors--I have found that it doesn't pick up these flavors unless you use a lot! Pour this over the dry mix and mix it well with your hands disposable plastic gloves work well--it doesn't stick. I put it on the Pampered Chef bar pans they are the ones with a lip around the edge. I put parchament down first, bake for about 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Let cool in the pans. You will find that they break up into larger brittle pieces. If you like dried fruit add it now. It will burn more quickly than the cereal.

I have also tried recipes that call for orange juice or water. The time in the oven is longer and it is a moister mix I have found.

I think the only things you have to have is the oats, oil, and a sweetener. The honey lets it coat well, and gives it a mild sweet taste. With just honey and oil and grains, you need to watch it, it will burn easily.

I don't know if you can use any of this, I know that there are artifical brown sugar, and syrup too I think--you could substitue maple syrup, but I think molasses would be too strong.

Are her doctors able to give her shots or anything to help open up her food world?
    Old 09-22-2010, 08:14 PM

Can't her doctor/nurse help you out with some suggestions? They are the experts and I'd think they would know. Thank goodness people on this Board are being so helpful. I can't imagine how hard it must be.