Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Ways To Use Miso In Cooking >
  • Ways To Use Miso In Cooking

• Ways To Use Miso In Cooking

Old 07-17-2024, 05:50 AM

Default Ways To Use Miso In Cooking

Most everyone knows about miso soup, but there are lots of other dishes that miso can enhance. It's like a secret ingredient that no one can quite figure out what it is. Here are some ideas:

Miso Mayo...add a teaspoon of miso and a dash of hot sauce to mayonnaise and it makes a delicious spread for sandwiches

Miso mixed with a little orange juice and a bit of garlic makes a wonderful glaze for fish, or tofu

Miso added to brownie batter gives an undefinable richness in flavor

Miso and mustard also make a nice glaze for veggies

Miso added to many hearty soups, or stews adds that umami flavor that you can't put your finger on.

Add a half teaspoon Miso instead of salt to your scrambled eggs

Miso is very salty because of the process in making requires a salt seal around the crock to keep out unwanted bacteria. Keep that in mind when using it and reduce the salt in your recipe to compensate.

Got any other ideas?
    Old 07-18-2024, 12:31 AM

I get the Silver Sneakers newsletter and today was an article about fermented foods and how they are good for your "gut heath". Miso was listed as number 5. I have heard of Miso soup but wasn't sure what it was and for some reason I thought it was spicy hot or something along those lines. According to the article it is salty as the process to make from soybeans requires salt.
    I also recently saw a Youtube with Gordon Ramsey using Miso mayonnaise on a grilled Spam and fresh pineapple sandwich.
    Thank you Tropit for your post with ideas on how to use. I was wondering what else you could do with it besides soup and added to mayonnaise. You gave me lots of ideas and I have it on my list to look for next time I go shopping. I definitely plan to give it a try.
    Wondering does it come only as a paste or is it a powder also?
    Again thank you for taking the time to post.

Here is a link to the article about ferminted foods and good gut health.
    https://www.silversneakers.com/blog/...ource=hs_email

Old 07-20-2024, 11:41 AM

Why...thank you for that comment. Miso is a paste. You can find it at Asian markets in the refrigerated section. I make my own because I'm a curious cook. It is made out of fermented soy beans and salt. The liquid that comes off of it while it is fermenting is called tamari, which is similar to soy sauce. Miso has a deep, earthy flavor. The older the miso, the more complex the taste. Most miso soup is made with white miso which is not aged for very long. so its milder in flavor. Miso can also be made out of other beans and grains. South River Miso makes some amazing different kinds of miso and I believe that they sell online: https://www.southrivermiso.com/
    Old 07-20-2024, 01:47 PM

... It is made out of fermented soy beans and salt.... I forgot to mention that there is inoculated rice, or other grain in it too.