• Recipes
  • What do you do with cumumbers? >
  • What do you do with cumumbers?

• What do you do with cumumbers?

Old 06-24-2010, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by quiltinggirl
    Originally Posted by cimarron
    Originally Posted by quiltinggirl
    My family takes sliced cucumbers (peeled), onions, and beets, and puts them all in one container with vinegar. Yummy! Also, I have a recipe for microwave bread and butter pickles, as well as for the sour pickles if you want it. The whole process takes about 20 minutes to prepare and then you stick them in the fridge overnight. They are the BEST!!

Oh, please post the Recipe for microwave bread and butter pickles. I would love to try to make these.
    :-D

Here's the recipe you requested!

Start with a rather large microwaveable bowl - if possible, use glass because the coloring from the mustard seeds will stain plastic containers.

6 or 8 cucumbers
    1 tsp salt
    32 oz bottle vinegar (you won't use all of this)
    1 1/2 cups of sugar
    1/2 tsp turmeric
    1/2 tsp celery seed
    3/4 tsp mustard seed

Gently cleanse the cucumbers, slice, and place in bowl (for bread and butter pickles, be careful not to slice too thin!) Mix all the above ingredients along with half the bottle of vinegar into a separate bowl. Pour mixture over the sliced cucumbers (you might have to add additional vinegar in order to cover the cucumbers) and microwave on high for 7 minutes. Remove from microwave and gently stir the mixture. Put back into microwave for an additional 8 to 10 minutes or just until the cucumbers look "softened".

Place a lid on the bowl or cover with foil wrap and place into the refrigerator over night or at least for 4 hours.

YUMMY!!!! :) :)
    Whoops! I forgot to push the response button, but sent an answer, you would have to see beneath your recipe. So, this is duplicate. I just was saying this will be a wonderful addition to July 4th treats, along with home made ice cream...!!!! YUMMM!
    Old 06-25-2010, 04:01 AM

Oh my! Sorry for the typo! I meant cucumbers. How nice to know that people can understand me even if I can't spell.
    Old 06-25-2010, 04:11 AM
    Power Poster

I love the scliced with WIshbone Raspberry vinergrette drizzled one....so good! I love cucumber sanwhiches, too, I just toast wheat bread, add butter and cukes. Yum!
    Old 06-25-2010, 04:14 AM

Get some veggie crackers and spread with hummus then add a slice of cucumber and sprinkle with dill. Very nice for luncheon partys.
    Old 06-25-2010, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Vickymomof6
    Get some veggie crackers and spread with hummus then add a slice of cucumber and sprinkle with dill. Very nice for luncheon partys.
    Ummm! Hummus - I cannot get enough of it! LOVE it with cucs and carrots! Could make a meal on that anytime, esp. the spicy versions. THINK I'd better make a little today. Thanks for reminding me of this delightful dish

:thumbup:
    Old 06-25-2010, 04:01 PM
    Banned

Plain old cucumber water..........
    slice cucumber very thin, put in a pitcher add water put in fidge for a few hours. it is nice and refreshing on a hot day.

get rid of those bags.............. slice and put on your eyes.

Dilled cucumbers.........slice thin mix with sour cream a little vinegar and some dill. yummo!!!!!!
    Old 06-25-2010, 04:09 PM

My friend brought a delicious meal over tonight...before music practice for hubby (again...). It was a salmon loaf with crispy crumblies on top...and a cucumber dill sour cream sauce. I told her tonight I want the recipe. If anyone wants me to share it will do so upon receipt. Let me know if interested....; - D
    Old 06-25-2010, 04:25 PM
    Power Poster

My mom makes a salad I like real well. It is any kind of pasta but I like ziti in it. cook and cool the pasta. Dice or slice cucumber and onion into it and you can add tomato too if you like. Use a vinegar/water/sugar dressing. this sauce is to taste so just try it and balance the ingrediants til it tastes right to you.

Chill in the fridge for a few hrs or over night. Serve cold.
    Old 06-25-2010, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
    My mom makes a salad I like real well. It is any kind of pasta but I like ziti in it. cook and cool the pasta. Dice or slice cucumber and onion into it and you can add tomato too if you like. Use a vinegar/water/sugar dressing. this sauce is to taste so just try it and balance the ingrediants til it tastes right to you.

Do you ever use Italian Dressing, and Romano/Parmesan in your recipe too? Olive, green pepper, or any of those things???
    Old 06-25-2010, 06:14 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by cimarron
    Originally Posted by Rhonda

Do you ever use Italian Dressing, and Romano/Parmesan in your recipe too? Olive, green pepper, or any of those things???
    You can add anything you like. I personally don't like olives so no I don't use them. But I would use green peppers or red peppers for color. I''ve never tried any other dressing but you could. You could add sugar peapods to this too. They are good.