Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • What Are Your Tricks For the Best Sourdough Bread? >
  • What Are Your Tricks For the Best Sourdough Bread?

• What Are Your Tricks For the Best Sourdough Bread?

Old 05-27-2019, 10:10 AM
    Power Poster

For Sourdough I bake in a stream pan for French loves. It has a crispy crust and lots of big holes. I use Baparoma Steam Baking Master Bread Pan. You can find the pans on Ebay or sometimes new online. I have two of them and they are the best.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-27-2019 at 03:36 PM. Reason: remove copyright materials
    Old 05-30-2019, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    For Sourdough I bake in a stream pan for French loves. It has a crispy crust and lots of big holes. I use Baparoma Steam Baking Master Bread Pan. You can find the pans on Ebay or sometimes new online. I have two of them and they are the best.
    Oh my aunt had a set of these pans and made the best bread I have ever had. I have no idea what happened to them, I guess got sold in a yard sale. I never knew the name of them.
    Old 05-30-2019, 04:13 PM

I found the link to the instructional manual. It's free from the company that makes the pans for anyone to read or download.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-30-2019 at 04:46 PM.
    Old 05-30-2019, 05:26 PM

I tried making my own starter with flour and water. Every day discarding some and adding more flour and water. I was told it would be ready when it doubled in size from rising and that never happened. I do make a slow rise bread with a cast iron pot and it's pretty good. Nice big holes and crispy crust.
    Old 05-30-2019, 06:50 PM

I make a faux sourdough with yogurt and a very small amount of yeast. It takes at least six hours to rise. The person I make for says it's very good, but I've never had any - I'm gluten free.
    Old 05-31-2019, 08:32 AM
    Power Poster

I got a lot of PMs thanking me for the bread pan manual. If you do a search for steam baking pans then it will be easy to find the free manual. Any covered pan will work just follow the instructions.
    Old 06-01-2019, 04:08 AM
    Power Poster

Ladies y’all are describing my perfect binge! Fresh baked really good bread with a nice crust and good texture on the inside, a pot of good coffee and a stick of butter. I would eat myself into oblivion. I can resist anything else. Fresh baked good bread is irresistible. Hence, I will never bake it. At some point the family would have to take a wall out and call the “my 600 lb Life” folks!! All sounds so yummy.
    Old 06-01-2019, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
    Ladies y’all are describing my perfect binge! Fresh baked really good bread with a nice crust and good texture on the inside, a pot of good coffee and a stick of butter. I would eat myself into oblivion. I can resist anything else. Fresh baked good bread is irresistible. Hence, I will never bake it. At some point the family would have to take a wall out and call the “my 600 lb Life” folks!! All sounds so yummy.
    Ha ha! "600 pound life"
    I laugh, but I'm the same way. I could eat a whole loaf of fresh, hot bread in one sitting.

If anyone is interested in making their own starter, it's easy. Just flour and water in a jar left out on the counter for a few days. If it doesn't get bubbly and yeasty, just add a little bit of active, dried yeast to it. Sometime a tiny pinch of sugar will help it along. Once it's going, put it in a covered glass, or crock container in the refrigerator. You're supposed to feed it more flour and water on a regular basis, but honestly, I never do and it still works fine.

When I use it, I put the entire starter in the mixing bowl, add white flour (I never used WW flour because it adds unwanted "roughage" to my starter,) and some water and give it a whirl in the mixer. It should be the texture of a very thick pancake batter. Let it sit for a few hours, or overnight then pour the replenished starter back in the clean jar and use the rest that is in the bowl for the recipe. Only then, do I add WW flour and other ingredients needed to make WW bread.

~ C
    Old 06-01-2019, 06:39 AM

BTW...sourdough starter also makes for a good base for sourdough pancakes. Make extra starter and add a couple of cups of starter, a couple of tablespoons of sugar, about a tablespoon of baking powder and a teaspoon of baking soda, plus salt to taste. You don't even need eggs, but I suppose that you could add them if you wanted to. They bubble up very nicely and hold together well.

~ C
    Old 06-01-2019, 01:07 PM

I make sure I don't add to much flour to start with. Flour will be added during the kneading. I also make sure the rise is long enough to make the bread fully baked through.

You can pick up a razor blade anywhere they sell paint or tools. I keep several around for just such cuttings.
    And post a photo - to make us all hungry.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-01-2019 at 02:43 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps