Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Keep Your LQS in Business >
  • Keep Your LQS in Business

• Keep Your LQS in Business

Old 07-05-2011, 11:20 AM

I am very sorry for any business that goes out because of the present economy. I would love to shop at our "one" LQS, but, I have to support my local Doctor, local Pharmacy, local Food store, and the local filling station to purchase the gas to get me to those places. Fortunatly, I can do pretty well with stash for now.
    Old 07-05-2011, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
    I too think its not my responsibly to keep someone in business. I like going to LQS but if they want to stay viable in this tough market with rising commodity prices then they need to maybe find away to broaden their demographic market.

Offer more entry level classes, allow kids and husbands to come in the store or at least not make then feel like outcast for being there. Offer sales and special rewards. Offer some cheap basic level classes to get new people interested. And maybe "gasp" find some cheaper lines to offer those that can not pay 10+ a yard. If they can not get good prices on their own then they need to reach out to other LQS and form a co-op and have buying power together

but those are just my thoughts. Like I said I like going but I cannot afford more then 5$ or so a yard for most of my quilts
    Very well said!!!!
    Old 07-05-2011, 11:25 AM

I feel bad for them also-but being on soc sec for disability and a fixed income and no increase for 2 yrs in pay.the prices of everything has risen drastically I cannot afford the 15.00 a yd prices either.I have a huge stash and am de stashing to help pay bills.
    Old 07-05-2011, 12:13 PM

Another NH shop, Quilted Threads, has added an online store to their operation, but they have no plans on shutting the doors of their beautiful building. Peggy Anne's closing means the loss of a Bernina dealership as well.

I buy almost entirely from local shops, and not just for quilting stuff, because I'd much rather see my dollars stay in this area to help other local businesses and citizens. I believe in backing the home team. :)
    Old 07-05-2011, 01:32 PM

Man, She'd really have a corinary at Dizzy Divas in Knoxville. There is usually a dog present, kids learning to quilt and occasionally a monkey that comes to visit.. Love it there.
    Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
    I wish I could support my one (not so L) LQS. She charges upwards of $15 a yard for cotton fabric. I just can't afford that, and she won't let my DD who's 2 in her "pristine" shop because she's afraid of sticky fingers.
    Old 07-05-2011, 01:35 PM

I love to support my LQS (3 in the area), but because 2 of them requires a 50 mi round trip, I find myself buying online a lot. I quit shopping @ JoAnn's years ago.
    Old 07-05-2011, 01:40 PM

I try to buy a lot locally. With QS, I don't get as much quilting done as some of you all do. :-) But I usually buy something when I stop in.
    Old 07-05-2011, 02:06 PM

it is sad to see Peggy Ann's go. that is where I test drove my first Bernina many moons ago. I liked that their fabric was always different than other places in the area! the little lamb too? too sad, too sad. I loved that country store by the little lamb, can't recall the name of it!!

I'm with you, if I can buy from my local shop, I'm happy to do so, very rarely will I buy on line (usually if I cant find what I need at the LQS) and I never buy fabric from walmart or joanns. ok, confession, I totally do not like walmart and don't shop there for anything.

At the LQS they know me by name, they know what I like what I don't like, they help me make great choices when faced on a tough color selection, they are willing to listen to what I need and what I want, and then try and accomodate me, you're surrounded by people who are passionate about what they do and frankly, the customer service and the experience of being in a great quilt shop just can't be beat. to me, worth it, any day.
    Old 07-05-2011, 02:11 PM

I do support the LQS - I love to visit the ones in the area and am going on my first Shop Hop in a couple of weeks. I love to touch and feel the fabrics and to look at their displays. I am lucky to have quite a few within easy driving distance.
    Old 07-05-2011, 02:21 PM

I love my local quilt shops but find myself going to the clearance 50% off back room fabrics. $10.00 and up is just too expensive for me as a senior citizen...