Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I need some Grandmother's flower garden help.... >
  • I need some Grandmother's flower garden help....

• I need some Grandmother's flower garden help....

Old 12-07-2021, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish
    I've never been happy with the quality of my EPP when I whipstitch it. I started using the ladder stitch and am much happier with my work product. My good quilting friend uses a stitch called a flat back stitch.
    I wasn't happy with the whipstitch either. I experimented with the ladder stitch but eventually hit on the flat back stitch. Flat back is now my preferred stitch
    Old 12-07-2021, 01:17 PM

Well maybe YOU'RE my good quilting friend, Patrice! 😉 🤣
    Old 12-07-2021, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Grammahunt
    It is important to remember the smaller the needle the smaller the stitch.
    I don't know that I agree with this statement, what is the thinking or reasoning behind it? I have large hands and just can not hang onto a size 12 quilting needle or size 10 betweens. I've actually fallen in love with Primitive Gatherings' binding needles, they glide through fabric like butter. I've taken to using them for just about everything I do by hand.
    Old 12-07-2021, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish
    Well maybe YOU'RE my good quilting friend, Patrice! 😉 🤣
    Lol. I may be!

I also don't use really small needles. I have large hands also and I've been using embroidery needles with the large eye for years now for all hand sewing. I've been wanting to try the primitive Gathering Binding needles.
    Old 12-11-2021, 07:50 AM

Me too, cashs mom. I can't use the tiny needles. The embroidery needles work just fine for me too.
    Old 12-14-2021, 01:11 PM

I'm working on an EPP GFG right now and I have the same issue sometimes. From what I can tell you with my experience, once you remove the cardstock, give the flower a good press, very, very little steam. If you cut your own hexies, the variations in them as you sew will compete with each other and cause the rippling that you're experiencing, and it will continue until you remove the cardstock. Once you do that, your flowers will lay flat.

If you're starting with the center hexie, then adding the next round, then the next round after that, you can combat the rippling a little by pressing after each round, even with the papers still in the flower. I remove the papers as a round is completed, then press the flower again, then keep sewing. It's an extra step, but it works.

What I can also say is that when I cut my hexies, I wasn't perfect, so when you're attaching the fabric to the papers, take a second, really look at your hexie and trim it if it's not right. I've found many of mine to be slightly wonky, so a quick trim has helped. Also make sure that you're sewing on the edge of the hexie paper, any variation to your sewing along with the possibility you're working with a slightly wonky paper is going to make them to not lie flat.