family games

Old 04-02-2018, 11:54 AM

We played all sorts of card games growing up. We would use laundry clothes pins as chips, lol! They always went straight back into the clothespin bucket though! We loved Scramble, Upwards, Chess, Scotland Yard and Risk. We also made puzzles together. A lot of fun!
Old 04-02-2018, 01:37 PM

don't forget hearts and putting puzzles together. We still play card and board games and my son in law collects old board games I have never heard of....and I played a lot with my dad as grew up. My daughter became a chess champion, and my sister is a master competitive duplicate bridge player. I bought a "slap jack" deck of cards just this week for the grands for their Easter basket. Thanks for the memories. (I had a game similar to mouse trap, but I can't remember its name.)
Old 04-02-2018, 03:23 PM

crazy clock was the name the the game similar to mouse trap. So much fun!
Old 04-02-2018, 03:31 PM

I played many of these games as a kid. I still have the Monopoly & Life games in the original box. Battleship game, but no box. I may still have Operation. They've been stored away in the attic for many years.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:17 PM

I remember Croquet, Checkers, Operation, and a board game called Skunk.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:56 AM

We played Tripoley and Pitch. There were three couples that got together on Saturday nights.

As children we really did not play many games, because we were mostly outdoors. Later we did play Monopoly and Rook with my parents. We actually worked more puzzles as a family. What else do you use a Dining Room table for?
Old 04-03-2018, 03:33 AM
Power Poster

tic-tac-toe

tripoley - we used my fil's pennies during the game - and put them back in the jar when the game was over. each player was doled out the same number of pennies at the start of the game. "winning" the big pots was still exciting!
Old 04-03-2018, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by mopec
I have seen Crokinole mentioned twice. I have never heard of that game. What is it?
Here are a couple of cut and pastes from the internet:

1. a board game popular in Canada in which players flick wooden discs (typically with your thumb and first finger)
2. The standard Crokinole board is a 66 cm (26”) diameter wooden board with a shallow hole in the center. Players flick small wooden discs on the playing surface into valuable positions. The playing area is divided into 3 scoring fields by concentric circles with increasing values towards the center. There are 8 bumpers around the most inner circle to make it more difficult to flick the discs in the center hole. The most outer scoring filed is divided into four quadrants. Players can only shoot discs from their quadrant. The most outer circle is the shooting line.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:45 AM

Played lots of board and card games growing up. Now, we belong to a couple of RV groups and a big part of the campout experiences is playing games in the evenings (and some afternoons when specific tours are not taking places. Playing games together binds people together socially--which games on the hand held devices does not do. Love to play games!
Old 04-03-2018, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

tiddld winks a d

never became adept or quite understood the.following - but i did see some of the other kids plaing the following :

jacks
marbles
yoyos
tiddley winks